What did you cook today?

I got a few 10 day expired scobies for free from the LHBS so I’ll start a batch this weekend. Do you guys use distilled water?

our tap water is very good here but the same rules that apply to beer apply to Kombucha really. So if you don’t like your water for beer then plan accordingly. It is pretty forgiving however. The best advice, instructions and myth busting is on this site IMO

Oh nice. I was just thinking about adding a little campden while the water was heating up. We have great soft water here

I didn’t read the attachment… But messing with Brewers yeast… Do not use distilled or RO for yeast starters… The lack of minerals in the water mess up the yeast… The water permeates the yeast cells easier than tap water … It was in the water book… Well, more reading/research for this winter…
Sneezles61

Well… it’s cake… first attempt right there. I will try this again next month…
Sneezles61

5 Likes

Boysenberry/peach

Think I over filled it

5 Likes

Id have a piece… :hugs:
Sneezles61

Pretty dang good for a first try! Cake is not my forte- never can get ‘em right.

1 Like

Finally getting to doing this today… Peppers have been elusive up here this year… I have some jalapeño from last year and my wife will score a few more today… So in the processor you make it to like mush? And what about the seeds?
Sneezles61

Not mush. Just get them chopped up. A few pulses should do it. I leave the seeds but you can strain them in the final process prior to packaging if you want.

Is the seed alone the heat? Or does it pull it out into the sauce? I’m not a big heat fan… Medium is fine by me… So I’m just inquiring about leaving all or some of the seeds during fermentation… Make sense? :upside_down_face:
Sneezles61

Yeh the seeds and veins of the pepper are most of the heat. I leave them but I like the heat. You can just cut them up on a cutting board and deseed them. I use the processor for convenience

2 Likes

How are the peppers doing?

They are in the fridge yet… A friend of ours went down… Don’t believe he’ll get through this weekend… His sister and her family have kept us busy helping checking out how the hermit took care of his business …
Sneezles61

Is this kinda close? I think it’s sup pose to be anaerobic, meaning no air… So I should maybe top these off?
Did i mention my hands are very hot right now? :disappointed_relieved: Ooh… Maybe I should’ve worn gloves…
Sneezles61

I think you need to keep everything under the liquid. Here’s mine

OK, I’ll top it up… Seeing they a plastic cups… I put water in them too. Little extra weight… The one with the foam on the head is what few we got out of our garden… I may have to pull some of that and add to the store bought stuff…
How long will these hot hands keep going?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Don’t touch your eyes. I wear medical gloves handling peppers. I didn’t get any hot peppers this year. I’m fermenting tomatoes garlic and hot peps I dried last year

2 Likes

Don’t rub your eyes or touch your…uh…junk. Trust me.

Edit @brew_cat in a few seconds before me lol

3 Likes

I found out many years ago… A friend had some yellow peppers… The kind that grows up instead of down… Was a terrible time… Drawing ing stuff… Rubbed my eyes… There was an hour at least I couldn’t see, burning… tears…
I learned… My hands are OK now… Went and pee’d in that chipmunk hole…
Sneezles61