What did you cook today?

No onions?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Had to use our tomatoes up

4 Likes

I knew I was forgetting something…

The one month drought followed by biblical rains here was hard on my garden. I never caught back up with the weeding.

I’m going to reclaim that garden space and build raised beds. for next spring. Got to move a few raspberries to do so though…we’ll see how that goes.

3 Likes

Raised beds have been amazing for lack of weeding. Whenever I build a new set of them, I want to dig in a nice drip system and put it on a timer

1 Like

I am going to remodel our garden… I have raised beds… Now I’d like to do them with tin… They will be about 28" tall… Right now they are 2x12’s… Still gotta get on my hands and knees…
Perhaps next spring when I get to building, I’ll post my efforts… 3’ x 6’ is a good size… We use a some what French intense gardening approach…
Sneezles61

Lets continue the raised bed discussion here

https://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/garden-plans-for-2021/29046

1 Like

Today I cooked dog food. I’ve been making “human grade” dog food for our Pitbull Bella for about a month now. I alternate between 3 lbs ground beef, ground pork and/or ground turkey with 1 1/2 cups brown rice (precooked) along with 1 zucchini and 2 carrots shredded in the food processor, a few cups of chopped spinach and half cup each of frozen green beans/peas, sprinkled with a couple tablespoons of evoo or fish oil. Sometimes I’ll put some sweet potatoes or pumpkin in as well and in the morning I put a scoop of plain yogurt in her bowl for calcium and probiotics. I cook up a batch and keep it in a large Tupperware container in the fridge. Bella is about 55 lbs so based on her macros she gets about 1 1/4 cups twice a day.

We’ve tried all kinds of very expensive dog food over the years and I’ve considered making their food a few times but when we had 3 dogs, one of which was 160 lbs, it was daunting to consider. Bella loves this and seems to be thriving on it with fewer digestive issues, clear skin and a shiny coat.

I bought 7.5 lbs of ground beef at Costco for $17 yesterday. Turkey is a little more expensive. I haven’t really calculated in detail but I figure roughly <$15 per batch which lasts 7-10 days.

4 Likes

With a face like that… You’d have to have to make that for her!!! :hugs:
Sneezles61

1 Like

That looks pretty good even for us humans. Lucky girl!

Well, there was that one day I had nothing for lunch…

2 Likes

Got this pickling crock today and made some kimchi.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!!!

The crock has a water sealing ring at the top that is sort of like a bubbler. I’m fortunate that there is an amazing Korean grocery walking distance from my house. The recipe is super easy and does not have to be spicy.

I don’t have a picture because I tossed it in the woods but the other day I made a bread and as an experiment I subbed hoppy yeast slurry in for sourdough yeast. The bread looked and smelled nice but had a bitter after taste. I shouldn’t be surprised I guess since the hop material is heated another hour. It got me thinking about using yeast slurry in beer. Could I be adding more IBU to the product. Never came across anyone studying that or mentioning it. I know breweries repitch. What say you people

Probably should have posted this separately, sorry

I believe Denny had some conversation about his…
Myself, I don’t worry… I enjoy more hops in my brews… If I want less… I’ll get some mass produced stuff where they tie a cone on a string and swing it above the kettle 3 times before they pull it and call it a day!! :joy:
Sneezles61

Chili day!

:beers:
Rad

6 Likes

Put a can of stout in there?
Sneezles61

Yessir, my go to is Oskar Blues Ten Fidy for Chili. This is the base, I’ll cut it in half after lunch and put the family’s half in the crock pot, then add a bunch more peppers and beans for mine.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

The first buttercup squash from this years garden is going into the oven very soon!
Sneezles61

3 Likes