Water - The Thread

Great observation. I’ve told you to read that at least 2 times. I’m about to sound like your wife. You never listen… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Never said I was the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree… :slight_smile: Thats just the reading piece… I haven’t tried to use the app…
Sneezles61

Good ol’ water. Love making darker beer where you have to make the water harder! :joy:. Our RIS uses so many dark grains that I swear you can see the minerals floating in the water! This is why I avoid using ‘city profiles.’ Just because certain beers were developed in specific cities doesn’t mean there was NO modification of the water… or some may even had their own wells.

1 Like

The way to my shed is about clear… I’ll be eager to try this boiling X-beerment…
Brun’water sez when you boil, you ONLY change the Alkalinity… not the other minerals…
Sneezles61

You do affect the calcium as well. So be aware of that. You may need to add some depending on your initial levels preboil.

2 Likes

Yup… I read that the calcium will precipitate out with the Carbonate…
In a very light brew it shouldn’t be a problem…
One area I’ve not read about… malt…
Sneezles61

I was able to sample the flask after checking gravity… I did NOT taste that background flavor that has me jumping through these water hoops… The real test is when its carbed… So it is sitting in the keezer… with 12 psi’s pressure on it… I’ll do me best to stay away from for 2 weeks…
When my last keg kicked… I unplugged the keezer and walked away… BAD CHOICE!! I disassembled all the hoses and it got a thorough bleach treatment… :tired_face: Time to order flared gas fittings for the tap tail pieces and one more liquid post…
Sneezles61

Pulled and dumped a pint… the annoying background thing-y that has plagued my very light brews appears missing! good news!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Nice! Lot of work but if it is manageable for you keep on it!

Why did you dump it!!?

Guessing it was the first pull that was yeasty…

1 Like

This boiling water isn’t too much effort… My gas fired rig is on wheels, so I wheel it out the garage and get 12 gallons in the keggle… Once I see it boiling, time it for 10 minutes… when Its done, turn it off and put a lid on it and walk away. I did find, when its warm, it doesn’t work… so its basically a cold crash when our weather is… cold up here… The next morning… its very cold and I find my TDS is cut in half… Decant 8 gallons, and start brewing… Save a gallon for making coffee… Yeah, I do have to scrub the kettle… get the white crap (carbonate and calcium) out…
That is all that changes… This is easier than the math for building up Distilled/RO water for me…
Squeegee, alot of yeast…
Sneezles61

What works works! You may want to hit that kettle with an acid every once in a while. This is available to Homebrewers…

1 Like

I like the name… B.S. remover… :joy:… I know… no cussing… :no_mouth:
Wonder if Beer Line cleaner would do the same thing… seeing as I have a jug of it… More to look up…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Depends on what kind of beer line cleaner you have. If it’s acid based it will work!

Oh boy… If you go in search of cleaning brewing equipment… it gets very involved… I didn’t think it would be that detailed… Now I wonder about the kegs… well, all things beery…
I’ve got the BLC product… Good for beer lines and such… but the SS containers… needs a different approach…
Sneezles61

Boiling water might be the solution. But this add way more time. Mayby the evening before brew day. Best thing. I think if we go that far. A ro system. Amazon sells them. Small systeem not so bad. Talk about water. My brew buddy does leave. Thursday to go back to his house in cape may. I give him a water sample as well to test.

Boiling water… Way up here, when its cold out is very simple… Night before brew day… boil the quantity, plus… then cover and let the water crash…It does have to go to 32*F for the Ca and Alkalinity to precipitate out… My other minerals are good for brewing, and as I read from Bru’n water, they will not change from the boiling process…
Yes, RO can and will work… but since I’m not bright enough figure out how to operate them online gizmo’s… I’m relegated to math by hand… IT TAKES ALOT IT TOO!..
I’m going to resume the boiling this fall… For now, I’ll stomp my water in half with RO, and then do a crap shoot… Add a teaspoon of this or that… see how that works…
Sneezles61

RO systems are plug and play. A lot easier to install than the woodwork you do.

1 Like

Exactly. I suck at math so if you can do that you can EASILY figure out a spread sheet that tells you the final water composition.