Wanting to try out my first Cider

1.040 is kind of low. You might want to add literally just a couple of ounces of sugar to bring it above 1.045 or 1.050. I believe low OG ciders have more of a tendency to get contaminated. With cider, there are contaminants galore, there’s acetobacter in the air everywhere and you don’t want that and it’s not as easy as you think to keep at bay.

Thanks! Everything had started this AM. Will those yeasts ferment down to the FGs similar to beer wort?

No, they’ll all most likely finish 0.994 to 1.004. Give the yeast enough time to get to that point, a good 4-6 weeks at least.

Well, tasted two out of the three last night- US-05 and the CDB. Both are delicious, gravities around .994-.996. The US-05 version is nice and dry, great apple cider nose, and a crisp finish. I kegged it and will make it sparkling.The CDB version has the same nose but retained that apple “tang”. Wife likes it the best and likes her cider still so that one will end up in bottles although I’m thinking a cannonball of the fizzy stuff might be tasty as well. Pretty happy with these two, we’ll see how the Notty tastes today. Very pleased with my first attempt! :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Tried making my first cider today. Added some brown sugar to it and going to try it with EC 1118. Any experience with brown sugar or the EC yeast?

Not a cider but a New Castle clone… And I can tell its in there… Using about 3/4 cup… Sneezles61