Upgrading equipment-Bucket or carboy?

Yeah 6 gal is fine. It’s apples and oranges… if you try to split hairs over a beer coming out good based on your carboy being 6 or 7 gallons… ehhh probably got some bigger issues. You’ll be fine brother… I use 6.5 gallon big mouth bubblers and have no issues… aside from the manufacturer issues from Norther Brewer

I like what RBC has commented, just before its complete. Common sense approach. That make take some time for the newer home brewers to find when it almost done… We are, after all, honing the skills, right? Sneezles61

1 Like

Thanks for that info. That’s one of the first 5 gallon kits I want to make. Are you still going to use the 5 gallon glass carboy for the secondary?

Yes, I’ve been using glass carboys for years with good success. I’ve been happy with them. I have a few. The Big Mouth Bubbler is a relatively new thing. I recently decided to add another primary fermenter so went with the BMB to try it. That one new 6.5 gallon is the only BMB I have. I have only had a chance to use it once so far. It worked fine. I’m sure you can find posts advocating each one, and various other fermenters. I don’t think you would go wrong with either.

1 Like

Hey Wilco let us know how you like those Speidel fermenters. Been looking at those myself.

Those spiedel fermenters are just a funny shaped bucket.

Should get them next week in the mail. They went on the boat. Last wedness day

True its basically a bucket, but it has a screw top lid, heavy duty handles, and a spigot for transfer. I’m curious about the spigot in a fermenter being a source for infection if it doesn’t get cleaned thoroughly or leaking. I imagine that you would have to take it out every time to clean it. It will be nice to have an honest review of the product from the forum.

Kinda like anything that comes in contact with unfermented wort… sanitize the living begeebers out of every nook and cranny in the fermenter… I could tell you of one time I… er someone I know that didn’t… Sneezles61