The Best way to Remove Labels

I fill up the sink with hot water, add 1-2 tbs. of OxiClean (just as effective as PBW, but much cheaper) and soak for 30 minutes or more. If it’s late I’ll leave overnight. Using this method, they all come off easily–including Summit. I follow up with a quick wipe with a scrubbing pad to take off any remaining adhesive. Rinse well.

Donations from friends are an awesome way to build up a stockpile of bottles. Just be careful to train them very well on rinsing technique. I’ve gotten a ton of nasty moldy bottles. In this case I normally fill up an old cooler with hot water and use maybe 1/4 to 1/2 C of OxiClean, close the lid and soak overnight.

If you’re a Costco member, watch for OxiClean coupons every couple months. Although at 12.5 pounds, one box will probably last ages.

I have had issue on some and not on some with summit. I like the shorter stubby bottles but I hate the bottles that have the markings on them like Summit (embossed logo on glass) a no no for comps.

Ammonia here also. Paper labels are easy, those foil ones not so. Hot water and ammonia in a plastic tub overnight and most labels are off in the morning. The ones that don’t come off get scraped a little then back in the ammonia. A lid on the tub keeps the strong odor at bay if you are stuck with being inside.

Try to avoid any bottles with raised lettering if you plan to enter your beer in a competition. Sam Adams bottles come to mind. Unless things have changed you will not be able to enter bottles that have identifying marks.

[quote=“HD4Mark”]Ammonia here also. Paper labels are easy, those foil ones not so. Hot water and ammonia in a plastic tub overnight and most labels are off in the morning. The ones that don’t come off get scraped a little then back in the ammonia. A lid on the tub keeps the strong odor at bay if you are stuck with being inside.

Try to avoid any bottles with raised lettering if you plan to enter your beer in a competition. Sam Adams bottles come to mind. Unless things have changed you will not be able to enter bottles that have identifying marks.[/quote]

depends on the comp, some let it slide some dont.

I don’t bottle anymore so it’s not much of an issue for me but a brew club member brought one of these gadgets to a meeting a while back & demonstrated it. It was farking awesome!
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67040&cat=1,43456,43390
. Then a little hot water & a brush for the remnants and done.

I have had issue on some and not on some with summit. I like the shorter stubby bottles but I hate the bottles that have the markings on them like Summit (embossed logo on glass) a no no for comps.[/quote]

Honestly 3/4 of my re-used bottles are summit. I’ve not had a problem getting them to cap, which type of capper are you using?
Summit bottles are a pita to remove labels even after a hot pbw soak. I’ve found Bells and New Belgium to fall right off.

I have had issue on some and not on some with summit. I like the shorter stubby bottles but I hate the bottles that have the markings on them like Summit (embossed logo on glass) a no no for comps.[/quote]

Honestly 3/4 of my re-used bottles are summit. I’ve not had a problem getting them to cap, which type of capper are you using?
Summit bottles are a pita to remove labels even after a hot pbw soak. I’ve found Bells and New Belgium to fall right off.[/quote]

I dont have as many issues with them as the other user who posted about it.

Perhaps I missed it in the 4 pages of responses, but did anyone mention that some breweries use labels that are not normal paper, rather a plasticky Tyvek-like material that no amount of soaking, even in Oxyclean (best for regular paper labels) will affect? For example Highland in NC uses those labels.

I still give them a soak with the other bottles, but then you have to peel up a corner, grab tight and pull hard. It will come off completely and usually not leave any glue. I hate those damn labels.