Tapping maple trees

The early boil is on the left

Since I cant lick and stick stuff with the PC… Heres a read…
Sugar content spring 2009/ Knots and Bolts… Northernwoodlands.org
Sure seems it can be as simple as tapping and boiling… OR… There is another rabbit hole to go down… I’ll keep it simple and just be the tap sucker applier for the sugar shack…
Sneezles61

Well that was interesting the author says the sugar content is less in the early season. Now im wondering what my trees are now since they were 3.5-4% early. I pulled my taps already but I’ll poke some holes tomorrow. My trees are yard trees I used to tap the ones in the woods but never tested them. I’ll check those as well and report back.

1 Like

Its all fun the main thing is it gets me out in my yard to experience the first drippings of the new season. After sugaring season comes pruning the orchard which I started today

1 Like

I pruned my trees in December… Didn’t do a thing with grapes… yet…
PERHAPS… Tie the tapping of a bock beer to the boiling of maple sap? You’ll have a fire going… right? Now all thats needed is a hot poker to dip into a stein of Bock to commemorate the beginning of spring and sap boiling… And getting out of doors!
Sneezles61

Well got a cold snap so the trees stopped running but running today. The yard trees were still pushing 3% which is down a bit. The woods trees were pushing 2%

1 Like

I haven’t heard from the sugar shack in the last few days… I know they were going snow goose hunting…
Thats very cool to know what trees are doing what… We’ve got about a dozen (?) maple trees on our 3 acres that about the size of a coffee can…
There was another article from the northwoodlands that talked about cutting the top of 2" saplings off and collecting… It made it sound like that would turn sap collecting more into like sap collecting mill…
Intense collecting I thought it was called?
Sneezles61

Ive read 10" chest high before you tap. The only reason being is if you have a tap patern of over 2"" up/down 8" you would go around the tree before the wood could regrow. Im sure you can tap those guys just maybe every other or third year

2 Likes