Stout ingredients

That’ll do it!

I wouldn’t add more than 1/2 lb of roasted barley. if you don’t like the dry bitterness, then add less to suit your taste. Good luck!

Thak you for your feedback. I will keep that in mind for my next batch, as of now I dont have any roasted barley. Thank you for your input.

Hey guys so I just input my updated recipe with the help of you guys, by the way thank you very much. My only concern now is my color (SRM) Should I add a bit more chocolate malt for color. I’m just afraid it will not be really dark.

I’m not a fanatic of color, but if you like the flavor of the beer and want more color, maybe adding an 1/8 to 1/4 lb of black patent malt might do the trick. It ranges in the 500-600L. I make a porter that has 1 lb of pale chocolate malt and 1/4 lb of chocolate malt, and it’s black, so yes, you can increase the chocolate, but you will also change the flavor. The black malt will add some roasty flavor, but it’s supposed to be a smoother one than that of roasted barley, and the amount is very small, so it should add a lot of color without affecting flavor as much.

Thank you for your input. Unfortunately I don’t have any black patent. I only have the chocolate malt, and I wanted to add a bit more just for the color. How will this impact my finish beer in flavor?

You could bump it up from 8oz to 10 or 12oz. I honestly think you could use the whole pound and it would still be good. But even at 28SRM, it’ll be really dark. 12 oz should put you at 35-38SRM, and should still make for a really good beer.

Thank you for your input. At this point I will just keep this as simple as I can. I think I will just keep my recipe as it is now. I was just reading article about stouts and porter and yea I think my SRM will be good enough.

The original Russian imperial stout was actually a brown stout… don’t sweat the color, you can’t taste SRM anyways! :beer:

1 Like

Wow that’s a great advice, your are totally rite. Now I’m more excited on brewing this recipe. I appreciate everyones help. Now I cant wait until I get home and brew my Stout/Porter what ever this is :beers:.

I will be posting some pictures later on tonight. Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys so here are some photos of my brew day yesterday. I am pretty happy with the color, the small. Wow the small of those chocolate malt are to die for. I sample the wort before the first hop addition and it was delicious, not overpowering sweet just rite. I took another sample at the end of the boil and things changed. My sweet wort was not completely sweet anymore it had kind of a strong hop background. Still drinkable. I hope the hop mellows down quite a bit.

1 Like

It all looks good from here! Hops do seem strong at first, given some time it WILL be diminish… Sneezles61

I do hope so my friend. I don’t mind hops, I just hope I don’t a hoppy stout/porter.

1 Like

Quick update. I recently switched the blow off tube and put the airlock. The fermentation is going okay I guess, I dont see much bubbling.

Is this a 5 gal batch, what are you fermenting in? Your yeast cake looks really big, is that normal. I have never had that much yeast at the bottom of my fermenter.

The yeast cake/trub layer usually looks pretty thick during active fermentation from all the CO2 trapped inside it. Once CO2 stops being produced, it will pack down quite a bit and you’ll end up with something more normal looking.

Yes I am fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy. My fermentation usually look like that, even on my other batches and everything turns out great. Hope this one goes as my other batches. Is been inside for 10 days so far.