Sour Advice

[quote=“grainbelt”]

No pellicle is even better. A pellicle forms because of oxygen.[/quote]

What the what? Really? I thought you wanted to give the lacto some oxygen so it would be active and spit out some lactic acid?

We have 3 carboys of flanders going, one has a crazy pellicle, one has no pellicle, and one has a ‘just right’ pellicle.

All are somewhat tart, but haven’t done a side by side on them…

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“grainbelt”]

No pellicle is even better. A pellicle forms because of oxygen.[/quote]

What the what? Really? I thought you wanted to give the lacto some oxygen so it would be active and spit out some lactic acid?

We have 3 carboys of flanders going, one has a crazy pellicle, one has no pellicle, and one has a ‘just right’ pellicle.

All are somewhat tart, but haven’t done a side by side on them…[/quote]

lacto doesnt need oxygen,

Sorry Grainbelt. I did not explain myself well enough. I did make acetebactor bombs, but I blended them with other fresh beer and oak aged beer to make a fantastic sour red ale. I think a sour ale needs some acetic character to be a sour. The exception to this is of course, is Berliner Weisse. That is the only beer I have liked that just had a lactic sourness. If I taste a lactic pale ale, brown ale, lager, etc, I think that is an infected beer. Other sours have hints of lactic, acetobactor and sometimes have Brett. If it just has Brett character, I call that a wild ale. Some people perceive them as sour, but I do not. They just have an interesting character and they usually have a lower pH. Oud Bruin and Faro probably have the least amount of acetic character, but it has been present in the examples I have tasted. My favorites are Rodenbach Grand Cru and some of the super tart Gueze like Hanssen’s and Drie Fonteinen which are pretty high in acetic character. My point was, that if you get too much actetic character, you can brew a beer to blend in. Luckily, these beers do not seem to oxidize so you can hold them for a month or so while you get a low hopped, fresh beer ready. Blending is very traditional with these beers.

So I took the advice and added the dregs of two lambics I picked up (Cherish Raspberry Lambic, And Wittekerke Framboise) and while I was in there I threw in 2 Chermoya Fruits.

better do some searching they might not have viable dregs in them

skip the brett