Roasting Coffee & Enjoying a Homebrew

Hot… Black… Coffee
I haven’t eaten out for sooo long, BUT, the most annoying thing with the breakfast out… HOT BROWN WATER…
You know its screwed up when McDonalds has better breakfast coffee than a sit down diner…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Oakland Coffee Company doesn’t mess around. Ordered this Tuesday and got it this morning. I’ll leave you guys a review after I try it.

3 Likes

At ORBC we contracted with The Roosevelt Coffeehouse to open their first remote location (only has 1 other). It’s a good fit as it also provides us the ability to stay open all day, which we still serve beer! Best part is they are a 501 Non-Profit that promotes clean water, battles hunger, and fights human trafficking.
I’m not a coffee drinker, at all. I’ve been told it’s one of the best coffee roasters. I’ll take their word for it. :joy:

1 Like

Oakland Coffee is delivering some pretty good content on the “coffee house” link form their website. They’re going to be streaming lots of music content it sounds like.

I opened the “Father of all Dark Roasts” and made cold brew with it. The beans were black and shiny with oil which I used to think was a good thing but current coffee wisdom seems to indicate oils on the outside equals over roasted. Any expert opinions on that?

it made a damn strong cold brew! The ratio I’ve been using with my locally roasted coffee makes a cold brew that’s not quite what I’d call a concentrate. I just add a few drops of water or some kind of creamer, usually almond milk, ice and it’s good to go. This one needed about 40% water added to get the strength I like. So it’s more efficient. Decent flavor. Not a very nuanced bean probably because it’s roasted so dark. I’ll check out the atomic garden soon and review as well.

2 Likes

Oily is a sign of over roasted or old

1 Like

The other roast I got from them is a med/dark columian/Honduran blend. We’ll see if they over roasted that one too.

The oil is created when the beans release the CO2 during roasting. The chemical reaction that occurs as the gases are exposed to oxygen creates the oils.

Yes over roasting can create these oils (such as an espresso roast). Or the chemical reaction can continue after roasting and bagging leaving the beans oily.

Bottom line. Does it taste good? Then it’s good coffee. Plain & simple.

1 Like

Its true its what you get used. I used to like dark roast coffee. But now im sometimes asked by my roaster for an opinion on a roast. Its kind of like tasting beer. A lot of subtle differences you wont taste in over roasted or old coffee. Im ruined since i developed my taste buds. I used to be happy drinking cheap whiskey and smoking cheap cigars. Same with beer and coffee

1 Like

Yea I agree it’s all about what you like just like beer. Technically speaking, it may be burned or over roasted but it makes a good cold brew concentrate so it fits the bill. It’s smooth and tastes good.

We’re talking about getting some cold brew equipment for work. There are 6 to 7 of us that will be consuming each day. I need some advice as to equipment, procedures and community guidelines to make this happen

I know a friend of mine that has a marina put in a nitro tap in the office kegerator for cold brew. Said it was a good investment, increased productivity

Ordered some beans from this roaster in NJ a friend of mine loves. I love ethiopian Yergacheffe so I thought I’d try this single origin Ethiopian. The grinder was empty this morning so I put some beans in. Haven’t ground or brewed any yet. It’s a light roast and what a huge difference in appearance from the dark shiny beans I posted the other day.

2 Likes

I Love the Yergacheffe. Ethiopia is the birthplace of drinking coffee. African coffees are noted for the fruitiness tang. It was startling the first time i tasted it. I usually get it at a medium roast. The dark roast on that bean i found to much. Tasting notes on that light roast?

Im doing a Brazil Fazenda medium today. You have to be careful i found with Brazilian. Because its mass produced there and quality control can be an issue im told

Just brewed a cup in the pump machine. Aroma is so mild compared to darker roasts. With my allergies in full bloom it’s hard to identify anything in particular but it’s a fruity, earthy and yea tangy would be the closest i can come. Even my wife who’s not a coffee drinker said it doesn’t smell like coffee. Flavor is very mild cocoa and light earthy woody taste, a little vanilla and definitely an unidentifiable fruity quality to it…mild cherry maybe.

It’s a really pleasant non-bitter coffee with very very low acidity like the Yergecheffe. Kind of reminds me of Jamaica Blue Mountain but less acidic.

2 Likes

youre a natural at describing this stuff, It’s like I’m there with you! :joy:

1 Like

I know the owner of Maiden. Good people

1 Like

I find it great to roast my coffee rather than purchasing already bought ones. The fresh aroma fascinates me.

1 Like