Recipe Alteration Question

[quote=“stompwampa”]So here’s what I settled on. Ultimately, I think I just need to try something and see how it pans out. I don’t think there’s anything here that would raise any red flags. In the end, I’ll get a light, easy to drink, flavorful ale - hopefully with some citrus notes and light hop flavors.

10 Gallon Batch
1.050 OG
18 IBU
3.1 SRM
4.9 ABV

Mash in at 152 for 60minutes

-8.5 LB 2-Row
-4 LB 6-Row
-3.5 LB Flaked Corn
-1 LB Wheat Malt

.5oz Saaz, 45min
1oz Cascade, 20min
1oz Cascade, 15min
.5oz Saaz, 5min

Ferment at 62 with US-05[/quote]

Why the 6 row?

[quote=“Denny”]This is gonna be one of the few times I disagree with ya. I think it would be too challenging for your average BMC drinker. I’d love to be wrong.[/quote]Well, I probably don’t know too many “average” BMC drinkers (as in, guys that will only drink BMC or worse yet, only drink diet beer), but the ones that I do socialize with don’t have a problem with either the real thing or Nirvana when I have it on tap.

[quote=“Denny”]

Why the 6 row?[/quote]

Some of the researching I was doing read that 6-row helps with higher amounts of maize/corn and it has a slightly stronger flavor than the 2-row.

[quote=“stompwampa”][quote=“Denny”]

Why the 6 row?[/quote]

Some of the researching I was doing read that 6-row helps with higher amounts of maize/corn and it has a slightly stronger flavor than the 2-row.[/quote]

Flavor, yes. But these days 2 row has nearly the same diastatic power as 6 row, so it’s very seldom necessary to use 6 row aid conversion.

Aye. Good to know.

I guess of the LBHS has no 6Row, then I’ll just do all 2Row.

Thanks!

[quote=“stompwampa”]Aye. Good to know.

I guess of the LBHS has no 6Row, then I’ll just do all 2Row.

Thanks![/quote]

The 6 row will give you a slightly “grainier” taste which is cited as being appropriate for a cream ale. I use it in that style if I can get and don’t worry if I can’t.