Priming sugar table

I usually keg my beer. I am going to bottle the beer due to new York weather. I was looking at the priming sugar table, how accurate or how good is the NB’s table? I use to do the 5/8cup and dump in boiling water. I would like to put the sugar in each bottle. I don’t want to use the sugar tabs.

NB’s calculator is a good one, but theee are a lot of variables inherent in brewing. The best check on how something works is from your own detailed notes.

This is a copy from one of my older posts.

You might be better off to use sugar cubes for carbonation instead of the Fizz drops. Domino has sugar cube “Dots”. A one pound package contains 198 cubes or Dots. This would be equal to 2.29 grams. According to NB’s carbonation calculator one bottle of beer at 68°F would need 2.27 grams of sug…

Check out the math for the Dots to see if they may do for the carbonation level you need.

Thanks to flars I used the sugar dots on a batch of rye ale after two weeks I had good carbonation.
All I have to do now is let age in the bottles for about a month.

It’s the first time for me to do this with bottled beer at this level. How accurate is the temp working with carbonation? I think warmer the temp, the more sugar and lower the temp, less sugar? If this is true, why?
Thanks for info with the cubes!!

I can take the temperature question. During fermentation, co2 was being produced… Some of it is already in your beer. Liquid absorbs co2 more readily at low temps. So if your beer was constantly 65 during fermentation, it has more residual co2 than if it were at 75. That’s why less sugar is called for. I’m in the “good enough for government work” camp and don’t fret about fine tuning carbonation that closely.

1 Like

I keep the bottles up in my kitchen at about 70 during the day and 67 at night. fermented in the basement at 66.

Thanks.