One in the Oven

[quote=“edawgwv”]Well the US05 will get it going and I’m sure it’ll be great!
:cheers: [/quote]

It was bubbling this morning! :cheers:

RDWHAHB! It can take up to 72hrs for visible, active fermentation.

I am still fairly new so what does “RDWHAHB” mean? I talked to Dan, one of the tech support guys at NB yesterday and he suggested that I pitch the us-05 yesterday. I don’t know if I mentioned it but I did the smack pack and it was sitting for close to 10 hours before I even pitched and there was almost no swelling whatsoever.

“Relax don’t worry have a home brew”. Smack packs don’t always swell a lot. Sometimes very little. Sometimes more. Even some swelling tells you there are yeasts living in there. And a smack pack can sit out for hours. It’s not a problem. If I am just pitching a pack or two (usually make starters) I smack’em in the morning and will pitch much later that day. Being at room temp for a few hours won’t kill off the yeast.

Pitching the extra yeast wasn’t a bad idea, I just wouldn’t worry about it for at least 3 days after pitching. Most fermentations start with in 12-24hrs, but they can take up to 72hrs to start. That’s all I was saying.

[quote=“dobe12”]“Relax don’t worry have a home brew”. Smack packs don’t always swell a lot. Sometimes very little. Sometimes more. Even some swelling tells you there are yeasts living in there. And a smack pack can sit out for hours. It’s not a problem. If I am just pitching a pack or two (usually make starters) I smack’em in the morning and will pitch much later that day. Being at room temp for a few hours won’t kill off the yeast.

Pitching the extra yeast wasn’t a bad idea, I just wouldn’t worry about it for at least 3 days after pitching. Most fermentations start with in 12-24hrs, but they can take up to 72hrs to start. That’s all I was saying.[/quote]

Ok cool. Should’ve known that acronym…read the book after all and Charlie says it quite a bit. Thanks for the advice. I get a bit overzealous sometimes and forget that things can take a bit of time. The extra yeast won’t impart a yeasty flavor to it that will be too much will it?

Well, the air lock was bubbling for a solid 3 days. Going to let it sit now until it hits the two week mark. That should be until Monday the 3rd of September. Which is great because we find out if our procedure worked on the 5th!

Sweet! Best of luck!

:cheers:

Well the air lock has stopped bubbling since Thursday so I think I am going to take a gravity reading and if it is all set, I will transfer to secondary tonight.

You may have already transferred it, but it would be best to just leave it in the primary at least ten days. It doesn’t need transferred after 4 days. Ignore the airlock.

EDIT: Nevermind I see where you had it in primary a week or so.

[quote=“edawgwv”]You may have already transferred it, but it would be best to just leave it in the primary at least ten days. It doesn’t need transferred after 4 days. Ignore the airlock.

EDIT: Nevermind I see where you had it in primary a week or so.[/quote]

Yeah I did transfer last night. Actually had to end up siphoning some out too. It was starting to come out the air lock. YIKES! Got it taken care of and it is all set now. It will now rest for about 2 weeks or maybe more until I can find the time to bottle. Took the gravity and it was registering at 1012.

Well, no news on the baby front as of yet but I did crack one of these open the other day and was very pleased with the result. The strawberry really mellowed from when I bottled the beer. It is still obviously present in the nose but the taste has really calmed down. The bottles got the wax cap feature added (won’t ever use Amstel Light bottles every again). Labels were thrown on tonight so now they are just waiting to be handed out.