One gallons kits/batches

One my batches I just brewed this past Sunday ended up fermenting out of the bottle. I did the White House Honey Ale 1 gallon recipe kit. I came home from work and saw it had fermented out of the airlock and onto the bottle but by then majority of the Kräusen had either evaporated, dried up or is on the walls of the jug above the liquid. I took the airlock off, cleaned it and sanitized it before I put it back on. While it was off I noticed dried Kräusen in the neck of the bottle. I did nothing to it because there was still a small hole for the gas to escape and I did not want to contaminate the inside of the bottle.

Has this happened to anyone who use the 1 gallon fermenting jug that came with the kit? Do you think with the Kräusen stuck on the side of the bottle that its now being wasted or will it eventually fall back down onto the wort?

[quote=“Cloud254AAF”]One my batches I just brewed this past Sunday ended up fermenting out of the bottle. I did the White House Honey Ale 1 gallon recipe kit. I came home from work and saw it had fermented out of the airlock and onto the bottle but by then majority of the Kräusen had either evaporated, dried up or is on the walls of the jug above the liquid. I took the airlock off, cleaned it and sanitized it before I put it back on. While it was off I noticed dried Kräusen in the neck of the bottle. I did nothing to it because there was still a small hole for the gas to escape and I did not want to contaminate the inside of the bottle.

Has this happened to anyone who use the 1 gallon fermenting jug that came with the kit? Do you think with the Kräusen stuck on the side of the bottle that its now being wasted or will it eventually fall back down onto the wort?[/quote]

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=118353#p1034886

[quote=“Nighthawk”]you can not ferment 1 gallon of beer in a 1 gallon container. Just like you don’t ferment 5 gallons in a 5 gallon fermenter.

NB is setting you up for this mess. If you wish to continue making 1 gallon batches, invest in some 2 gallon pails.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/2-gallon ... d-lid.html

Or check out any place that make donuts and see if they get items in small pails.[/quote]

Extracts are very fermentable so they will ferment hard and fast. Like the thread link stated, just clean up the mess and use a blow off tube. The beer will be fine.

Thank you TheNerdyGnome for your help and information. Seeing this now made me realize I need a fermenting bucket to avoid this blowoff in the future.

All Grain batches are very fermentable also. It could be argued that extracts are less fermentable. As many times they end with higher FG’s. At least in my experience.

I guess in my experiences with extract versus all grain one gallon brewing is with all grain my efficiency is low, due to equipment, so fermentation is not very active. With extract you don’t have to worry about efficiency and will constantly be high with the extract so fermentation is very active. That’s the way my thought process worked it out. I always used a blow off tube with extracts and just airlock with all grain and so far it as not steered me wrong.