Oktoberfest thread

Speaking of Bavarian beer this is a good listen/read.
When ask why she only brews the same 3 beer styles over and over “I brew what I like.”

3 Likes

Finaly got around to reading this piece…very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Would love to visit that kloster sometime and have a nice lager(no wheat beer :joy: ). I was last there(Germany) in 1996, visiting family(mine in Ostfriesland, my wife’s in the Black Forest area).

1 Like

I see rain in our forecast… so perhaps brewing is close at hand…
I’ve got some X-tra dark crystal… I wonder if I just use 4 oz per 5 gallon batch… I know it would add some color… But … how about any flavor? I don’t want much, if any from it…
What are we looking for 5.5%?
Sneezles61

C-60? What *L? A little of the dark stuff goes a long way.

180!!
Sneezles61

…maybe 2-3 ounces! (for an o fest)

Sure… I just want the orange color…
Sneezles61

I’m thinking 4 oz. will be too much. A little goes too far easily. Thinking about it, is it right for the style? Melanoidin?

1 Like

Well, I have stuff I need to use up… I do like the orange colored O-fests, enter C-180… I like the big white frothy foam on top too… So that’ll be were the wheat enters the recipe… I’ve got some biscuit malt… but shouldn’t be too much “on the tongue”… a little tho… Pils and Vienna will make the base of it… Using Ale yeast… Northern brewer for bittering… Sterling for aromatics…
Huh… looky here… I’ve about put my grainbill together! :sunglasses: Nice!! now to figure the amount to get to 5.5%… I’ll do some decifferring on paper and post my grainbill… Thanks for encouraging me to get after it!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Sounds like your on the right track. I might save the biscuit malt for a British style but its your beer

Heres my “pencilled in” version… I’ll day dream whilst I do my last tweaking on a CT90-K3 (Git R back running) today…
8 lbs each Pils and Vienna
2 lbs wheat
10 oz Victory (biscuit type)
6 oz C-180.
1 oz Northern brewer hops to the boil.
Still pondering the aromatics :no_mouth:
I might ferment one with the Saison yeast and the other with 05 dry yeast…
Oh, this is a 10 gallon into the fermenter size…
Starting gravity (SG) 1.052+/-…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Finally getting around to brewing this one today, rainy day here also. I’m at mash rest now….I got a late start as we had a contractor by this morning. Maybe I should call it November fest.

Listening to blind faith, Uriah Heep, U2 the Joshua tree, and now bad finger.

2 Likes

Now you’ve done it. Your going to have to move that recipe off the Octoberfest page. Making an Octoberfest with Saison yeast :rofl:

3 Likes

:cry:… Could I stay ifn I call it “Mocktober fest”? :no_mouth:
Sneezles61

Good color and nice malt flavor, lively mouthfeel. Carbonation fair.

1 Like

always wanted to go to Germany …for the beer :slight_smile:

I haven’t seen any up here at the pop shop… I wonder whats up with that? New fire pit constructed… I’m ready.
Sneezles61

Uh oh… I found a 12-er of Summit O-fest… Kinda like sips from heaven…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Beer photo? :beer:?

I had to do a taste first… I wouldn’t want to post a picture of a… mutt? :joy:
I’ll get the fire pit burning and take a picture… I could almost get an 8 gallon keg of this brew…
Sneezles61