New Brewer - BPAA

Cool, I leave for 2wks on Sat, that will give it 24days in the primary. When I return. I’ll check it Friday night and Saturday 13th upon return.

FG of 1.019 is not extraordinarily high for an amber ale. I’ve brewed plenty of ambers that finished at 1.016 or so. I’m surprised it’s not lower just becuase of the high temp it fermented at but if it’s an extract I’d bet it’s finished.

Having said that @flars is absolutely correct that letting it sit in primary for a few more days could potentially help rather than hinder.

How did it taste?

Tasted like warm flat beer. Lol. It seemed thin on flavor, the second drink tasted better. Probably going to wait it out and just bottle it up when I return. I’ve heard the high temp could have killed my yeast. It says 1-2wks primary then bottle. So I’ll get back, check it again and bottle it on the 24th day. I’ll post in here what the final results were.

dont forget, while its fermenting, it creates its own heat. so if you pitch at 70, and try and keep it there, it can still get up to about 75/76 just from the yeast doing its thing. I learned that from here and the brew club I just joined. I still hit these forums up cause its easier/faster to get answers. And Ill take in any and all info I can get.Gotta have more than one source… Once ive been in the brew club a little longer and get connected more with them, im sure itll be easier, but Ill still be hitting these forums up.

I doubt your yeast is dead. Pasteur preserved wine by “heating it to only about 50–60 °C (122–140 °F) for a brief time to kill the microbes, and that the wine could subsequently be aged without sacrificing the final quality.” (Pasteurization - Wikipedia)

The same article reports heating to 161F kills “99.999% of the number of viable micro-organisms in milk.[38] This is considered adequate for destroying almost all yeasts, molds, and common spoilage bacteria and also to ensure adequate destruction of common pathogenic, heat-resistant organisms …”

1 Like

Uploading…

well I returned yesterday to find I had a 1012fg. so it still was working it’s magic. however it didn’t smell very good. it may have been because I’ve lost power twice while I was gone do to weather. first time for a few days and the sound for 2days. stupid gcfi outlets. anyways I bottled it up, hopefully it doesn’t taste too disgusting. Uploading…

When you take yer sample, don’t you taste that? Its what I do every time. Sneezles61

I did, and it didn’t taste very good. may have been because it was warm. I still cannot get power back on in my garage so while I got a temp controlled environment set up it is now inop. it’s going to spend 2wks in bottle before I stick them in fridge. only time will tell. sucks my first brewing experience has been such a disaster. I have learned a lot, but fuck man, this beer can’t catch a break. I got it in a temp controlled environment by day 7 only to have power loss while I was away, and the wife doesn’t know shit about that, she managed to get it reset after 5days of heat only to have the garage power to go back out again 3days later. I was going to brew another beer today, but shit, I don’t want to set this one up for failure by not having a temp controlled environment for it to relax in.

I sure hope you never run into power problems like this again.

I would chill two of the bottles to start with for an initial taste. Give them three days in the frig to force the maximum amount of CO2 into solution.

Sad to be held hostage by that, yet on the bright side, fall is just around the corner!! Many kegs to fill and set in the cool garage. Sneezles61

I won’t have consistent cool garage Temps until January. I live in florida. I’ll stick two in the fridge, give one a taste wed and another on Sat. I was told it is my gfci outlet detecting moisture in the air that’s killing our power. I guess that’s to be expected with all the rain the pan handle/ gulf Coast has seen .

got it figured out, outlet outside running my spotlight for old glory was tripping my gfci outlet. now that is figured out on to my witbier extract kit :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Switch to an LED spotlight

that’s the plan, solar powered

GFCI have their place, but I’ve read that items that cycle off/on a lot wreak havoc on them often causing them to fail upon the item kicking on. Had the same issue with a sump pump…

FWIW I’m no electrician, just what I read.