Necessity of Brewing Software

This kinda reminds me of people who develop software in linux using command line text editors. Sure you can do it, and I’m sure it impresses a whole lot of chicks :roll: …but other than it being a novelty why bother?

Newp, never said that nor implied it. You’re reading too much into it.

I don’t have a theory. I use software too, every now and then, but most of the time I just use a pencil and paper.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]The guys above have done a good job explaining why they like to use software and you fail to accept valid points. They are telling the software what ingredients to use and how to use them. They are defining and executing the processes used to brew their beer. There is no shame in taking advantage of the modern tools that are available to simplify parts of the brewing process. In the event of a zombie apocalypse the bad non-software brewers will continue to be bad brewers. A lot of software brewers will adapt just fine. But until that happens, who cares? Good beer is good beer whether the recipe is written on a piece of paper or recorded on a disc.

P.S.: I’m pretty sure Denny uses ProMash. Software brewers are in good company.[/quote]

Again, you’re reading too far into the whole thing. I’ve never once said nor implied that my methods are better than anyone else’s.

I have given an idea for an interesting TV show though… (well maybe a YouTube video at least…)

I currently develop software using Eclipse/Java and VS 2013.

And the chicks, well, they be linin’ down the block, just to watch what I gots… :stuck_out_tongue:

This thread just reads like you are questioning why people use software and can’t just whip up recipes in their heads. Lots of good responses have been given. If you are comfortable with your memory and skill of predicting IBU, SRM, OG, etc… go for it. Or maybe you just don’t care how the statistics of your beers turn out and that’s fine. No one is questioning why you wouldn’t use software to create recipes. But, you surely understand the reasoning that people are listing for using software, right? Because they want to be more precise, track their brew days, and just the simple ease of it. The question you asked has a very simple answer which has been answered numerous times now.

It’s like you’re saying “I can use turbo tax to do my taxes, but much prefer a blank form and a pencil”.

[quote=“dobe12”]This thread just reads like you are questioning why people use software and can’t just whip up recipes in their heads. Lots of good responses have been given. If you are comfortable with your memory and skill of predicting IBU, SRM, OG, etc… go for it. Or maybe you just don’t care how the statistics of your beers turn out and that’s fine. No one is questioning why you wouldn’t use software to create recipes. But, you surely understand the reasoning that people are listing for using software, right? Because they want to be more precise, track their brew days, and just the simple ease of it. The question you asked has a very simple answer which has been answered numerous times now.

It’s like you’re saying “I can use turbo tax to do my taxes, but much prefer a blank form and a pencil”.[/quote]

Yes, the question has been answered.

Actually, I do prefer to do my taxes using paper forms and will as long as possible.

Relax folks. You seem to be reading into everything too much.

You know those posts on beer recipe forums where someone will post a recipe and say “does this look good”. You look at it and without batting an eye you just know what you would do differently (if anything) or how you would correct it (assuming you’re not entering those recipes into beer recipe software).

Yeah, that’s what I’m talkin’ bout. :cheers:

[quote=“GeneticBrew”][quote=“dobe12”]

Actually, I do prefer to do my taxes using paper forms and will as long as possible.

[/quote][/quote]

Nailed it :cheers:

I’m sorry if I offend you, but your responses do read as rebuttals rather than just conversing. Perhaps it is not necessary for you to offer counterpoints to responses if you do not disagree with their reasoning.

Calm down now. Relax. Breath in. Breath out.

Arguing on the internet isn’t pretty.

[quote=“GeneticBrew”]
It would be interesting to see a brewing competition where a bunch of brewers were turned loose on a LHBS and could only use what they found in the store. They could not formulate their recipes with brewing software or calculators. A notebook and a pencil would be the only items issued to them.

It would definitely test knowledge of styles, hops, yeast and water.[/quote]
Why formulate a test for a theory you don’t have? :wink:

[quote=“kcbeersnob”][quote=“GeneticBrew”]
It would be interesting to see a brewing competition where a bunch of brewers were turned loose on a LHBS and could only use what they found in the store. They could not formulate their recipes with brewing software or calculators. A notebook and a pencil would be the only items issued to them.

It would definitely test knowledge of styles, hops, yeast and water.[/quote]
Why formulate a test for a theory you don’t have? :wink: [/quote]

LOL! Nice! It’s all about fun… :cheers:

software = easy, more precise

in my head = easy, less precise

does precision matter? Not neccesarily. Does it aid in consistancy? yes.

Depends what your goal is. When youre messing around with different batch sizes, different percentages of alpha acids, different lovibonds, different water profiles, different mash ratios, different malts with different extract LDK. Software is just easy, that’s all.

I get what youre trying to say, and I do that pretty often when I homebrew. When I brew on larger scales, it’s nice to have software to double check and look at the numbers, because I have a lot more at risk.

Some people are more OCD than others too (especially brewers). :cheers:

I’ve been brewing for a long time and gave kept detailed notes for the past 9 of those years.

Looking back at my early recipes, I couldn’t imagine how I could replicate them without software, just calculating ibus and current efficiency.

Just a lot easier and makes you feel like a “real” brewer.

But hey, if precision isn’t your cup of tea, RAHAHB.