My fermentation seems to be going too fast

Try your hydrometer in room temp tap water. And see if it’s close to 1.000.

Technically you’re supposed to use distilled water at whatever temperature the thing was calibrated for. But room temp tap is ok for a rough check. Anyway if it’s reading several points high that may explain some things. The paper can slip inside the thing.

For reference, I did that kit several years ago. SG:1.052 FG:1.017 Believe it or not, it was my 3rd Homebrew batch. I got some nice reviews from friends at that year’s Super Bowl party. In hindsight it may have been charity, but I was super pleased with the results.

2 Likes

I use a refractometer that I got for Christmas. It reads in both brix and S.G. the reading with plain tap water at faucet temp. It is a hair over 1.00 S.G, but that may be parallax from how I have to view it without my glasses. Either way I don’t think it is that far off. I did the WH honey ale as my last home brew years ago before I had children and my hobbies went on hold. It was the best beer I had made to that point.

1 Like

Actually, I just realized that the hydrometer can’t be used on the S.G scale after fermentation has started so that is probably throwing off my reading. But, when I throw those readings into northern brewers calculator it returns a wild 0.0998 S.G. I know that obviously isn’t right. Any suggestions besides just going out and buying a hydrometer?

Buy a hydrometer. They are very inexpensive, easy to use and will be the best test instrument you have. All the fancy stuff is fun but when it comes down to it that is what I would use first. Do calibrate it with 60° distilled water if you can but I agree with @jmck tap water will be a good quick test. Test a brand new one. Who knows it it was tested first or banged up on the way. They look like there is just lead shot glued into the bottom for weight. Hoping it’s not really lead.

If the hydrometer doesn’t read 1.000 you need to replace it

You can’t use a refractometer (SP) reliably once fermentation has started. A hydrometer is the better choice.

Take the original and ending specific gravity if you want to have a close approximation of your ABV

No reason to replace it if you know how much it is off. Just add or subtract the difference. That said I would get a new one and keep it as a back up. I try to have two so if one ends up broken there is a replacement. So far I have only needed the spare once but it was handy. Looks like they are about $9. Also get a flask for it. The plastic tube they come in is too small so the hydrometer could stick to the side and give you a false reading.

I think I am going to buy a traditional hydrometer and see if I can get a consistent offset that I can record somewhere for future reference. The Porter looks and tastes good from the samples so far. Went ahead and bottled the other day, I will let you all know if it turns out good in a week or two. Cheers and thanks for the advice.

1 Like

just wanted to update. Bought a normal hydrometer and took a measurement before carbonating. 1.012 FG. Much more in line with what I would have been expecting. I have also had a chance to taste the finish product and it is much better than I had hoped for my first batch in 6 years. I decided to use Honey as a priming sugar to try and up the flavor a little and I feel like it really worked. Thank you to every one who has commented and given advice. I appreciate it. Next batch is already in the fermenter, and will be the conundrum session IPA with 1.5 lbs of flaked oats added to the specialty grains. Looking forward to tasting it.

1 Like