Munich Helles for Spring

Just an hour, or many after, decoction AND boiling to add? or just a decoction… There is a difference… I am so simple that a decoction is temp rest to your BIAB, the other, well then you have lots more to do… Sneezles61

Huh? A decoction is removing a portion of the mash and boiling it to add back in to the mash and raise temperature. If you’re not removing and boiling then you’re not doing a decoction.

Too much doppel bock, I was confusing step mash… my apologies. Sneezles61

Just tasted this Helles. Very good. It’s got great body and bready malt profile. Good head but dissipates pretty quickly. It’s cleared nicely in the 5-6 weeks it’s been lagering. I’d have to say it had more depth of flavor and mouthfeel than I’d have expected so must be the decoction.

Is that something you will do to your Helles from now on then? Sneezles61

I don’t know man…it was a long brew day but the results are pretty impressive. I’ll have to brew one without the decoction and see…

Maybe you could get some of @sneezles61 foamy beer to give it a little top dressing

1 Like

I was just curious… I still have my old propane set up and if that was something to really consider, well, I could park it right out the door as I did a decoction for a plsnr… Yeah, I’ll have to try before I send the old gear down the road… Sneezles61