Mattnaik's Vienna Lager revisited

No, brewed 12/6/17 kegged 1/6/18, lagered for a almost two weeks before trying. I have however left beers in the fermenter for much longer than 6 weeks when the pipeline was full or I was being lazy. Only lost one due to that. An irish ale I forgot about and left in a bucket for about 6 months. It was oxidized.

Thinking about brewing this, this weekend…or a traditional Bock…definitely not too early for Bock season(new thread anyone?)

I know I’ll brew both! Lager season is here!

I’ve got the Negra at room temp now… I hope to start cold crashing this W/E… I really want to get a Miabock into the fermenters… Start a new thread VooDoo… Sneezles61

I’m knocking out a mex/Vienna lager this weekend myself

As I understand, Negra Modelo is a dark Vienna offering… So would you do that from one brew? Perhaps just to steep the dark malt in a smaller stock pot and add after the lighter colored version was drained? Sneezles61

Nah basically I’m using a Vienna lager recipe and adding flaked maize

I use carafa special for color in my lagers. It imparts no extra roast flavor at all.

Couldn’t get the carafaII at the store used chocolate malt. Didn’t use pilsner either need to get a sack. Vienna ,Munich, touch of wheat a bit of flaked maize. It’s all weighed out so that’s set. As far as hops I have mag, styrian g, and tett so that’s what I’ll use. Gotta use up the material I have.

This is the color I get with the recipe above in this post.

3 Likes

The SRM of mine is predicted to be 15.8 what is yours

Recipe says 10.5 but it looks darker in the picture doesn’t it?

Alot darker. Probably reflect in the background

I’d bet you couldn’t tell once its in your tummy!!! Looks tasty! Sneezles61

To be honest it more like a dunkel than a vienna. And on the site it says Munich dunkel style beer.

I thought a dunkel was a dark Vienna

Vienna is a relative of Märzen and Dunkles is a relative of Bock.

1 Like

Well said loopie

I find that it now depends on who is writing the story… But one thing that the 5 different articles I just read, they are German lagers… And it seems to slip the Vienna lager into that pocket too… Sneezles61

So Bock was fooling around with Vienna and ended up with Dunkel ?

1 Like

Certainly tastes more like a watered down vienna than a dunkel. Don’t get me wrong. I actually like it but Rogue says their dead guy ale is a maibock too…

1 Like