Making Norther Brewers "Off the Topper" Juicy?

October 2016 BYO magazine had articles about this topic.

I would add citra, mosaic and or some other fruity, tropical type hop in flame out and dry hop.

That’s alot of different hops. I generally use only 3 . But thats just me

Yeah I agree. I should have said to replace some of the hops with more tropical hops

Those hops are from the kit but I may have moved them around a bit. I usually move all of the kettle hops to <190 F post boil. The hop shot is all the bittering it needs.

I wonder if you’d get the softer bitterness that FWH contributes, if you were to add the hopshot as a FWH addition?

The hop shot is very viscous so I add it to the boil. No reason it couldn’t be added earlier but I doubt it will provide a benefit as it is just a bittering agent.

Right. It’s been said that first wort hop additions contribute a less aggressive, smoother bitterness (which I agree with). I just don’t know if that works with the hop extracts. If it did, it may help with the “juicyness” of the final product. I don’t believe Hop Shot is pre-isomerized, so It might work…

I like to add bittering hops in two stages for my NEIPA I’ll add something like nugget at 60 then a dual purpose like Chinook at 30. Then I layer in the rest of the hops 15/10/5/ wp/fermenter dry hop/ keg dry hop

3 Likes