Macro'er we stand?

I think the locavore movement has done this. The cover of Fortune magazine a few months back:

http://fortune.com/2015/05/21/the-war-on-big-food/

Change in beer is brought about like any other change in our country: from the Almighty consumer…that controls 80% of our GDP.

Not true. Pabst is owned by this guy

, who emigrated to the US when he was 6 years old. The headquarters are in California.

I just wonder what the end game is for AB-InBev in acquiring more and more breweries, even SABMiller. It’s nothing but money? Do they think that if they got rid of craft beer, that people would just resign and drink macro lager? I don’t think so. Is it power? It probably is power and money. That’s what all major corporations want, isn’t it? There’s no such thing as “enough” for them, it’s always “more, more, more”.

[quote=“Beersk”]
I just wonder what the end game is for AB-InBev in acquiring more and more breweries, even SABMiller. It’s nothing but money? Do they think that if they got rid of craft beer, that people would just resign and drink macro lager? I don’t think so. Is it power? It probably is power and money. That’s what all major corporations want, isn’t it? There’s no such thing as “enough” for them, it’s always “more, more, more”.[/quote]

I mean, whats the end game for anybody/any entity? Growth. Unless a person or company has made the choice (like Kimmich/Alchemist) to only get BETTER and not get BIGGER, which is just a different kind of growth.

Beer as a beverage category is declining. But craft’s share is growing exponentially. Someone astutely pointed out on this thread that craft fights with each other more than Big Beer. I do think that it is tough to convert someone whose Friday night purchase is an 18-pack of Natty Lite (unless of course they are lured by higher alcohol, because slamming 6-12 of those is not about flavor).

I also think that craft purchasers tend to buy less quantity than macro drinkers.

Either way, SABM/ABI are faced with dropping share and dropping revenue. Consolidation follows. Simple.

Let’s just say I’m willing to take them at their word, and this is all about market share in Africa and South America. It’s still a shame that burgeoning craft scenes there will have to deal with the same crap America dealt with for decades.

As for what consumers can do, the worst part about big beer are all the ugly steps that are taken to hide the origins of a product from us. We don’t get to see how the sausage is made. Which is kind of a shame, because at the end of the day, I just want to drink beer that tastes good without thinking about it too much. I guess buying local is just about the safest advice out there.

Now I’ve always tossed around the idea of an independent, craft only distributor. It’s probably impossible, but imagine if someone on the second tier took a stand and said no to big beer. Would independent bottle shops use them (maybe if they were committed to fresh beer, proper storage facilities, etc)? Would they have a chance in the market? Maybe not yet, but if we did have to keep a three tier system, it’s an interesting concept that might be viable someday in the future.

[quote=“uberculture”]

Now I’ve always tossed around the idea of an independent, craft only distributor. It’s probably impossible, but imagine if someone on the second tier took a stand and said no to big beer. Would independent bottle shops use them (maybe if they were committed to fresh beer, proper storage facilities, etc)? Would they have a chance in the market? Maybe not yet, but if we did have to keep a three tier system, it’s an interesting concept that might be viable someday in the future.[/quote]

Thats actually how Brooklyn Brewery kept their business alive when they were about to go under. They did a JV and ultimately bought a small flailing distributor and distributed their own stuff and some of the ‘eccentric’ imports like Dos Equis, etc. back in the 80’s. The distibutor was cash flow positive for much of the time when the brewery and its brands were not self-supporting.

There certainly seem to be enough channels at the bottom and tops of the supply chain (3k breweries in the US, or is it 4k now?; lots of specialty bottle shops, depending on the state). Maybe a niche middleman is a great opportunity!

Semi related tidbit: Old Milwaukee Light (Pabst USA) has won more awards than any other light beer in America. This is NOT “the Beast”, FKA Milwaukee’s Best (SAB) which is horrible. Too many cannot make the distinction.

My personal belief is that not much change will be brought by this and craft will continue to grow. That said, I think the IIIIIIIPA/peanut butter and jelly chocolate roasted jalepeno root beer porter thing will runs it’s course and the craft movement will get back to basics. I think once craft brewers spit out some good yellow fizzy competition will it finally get interesting. Right now, craft brewers are too snobbish to do it. If anyone here has never brewed “Your Father’s Mustache”
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjABahUKEwjxwMWqpMfIAhWBJh4KHXQoBRk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.homebrewersassociation.org%2Fattachments%2F0000%2F1298%2FSOzym00-Pilsner.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEA8QdIX49sr_WOiA4RkGuFIHw1dw&sig2=kXoAIAQr66zAMj5ILxCuFg&bvm=bv.105039540,d.dmo&cad=rja
you really need to. If you could get something like that local in 1/6 barrel fresher and cheaper than BMC, now THERE would be a revolution… :cheers:

A growing buisness called Craft Beer Cellar may be the future for craft beer. We have one here in CT they seem to be expanding pretty quickly. I think the address is craftbeercellar.com check it out.

Zwiller I agree that there is an untapped market for craft brewed light lagers. I have made mention of this to many Brewers/home brewers/friends about this and they act snobbish. As many know I enjoy brewing these beers. Funny thing is that your BMC crowd goes WILD over them. They are fresher and taste better but are the same thing they’re used to drinking. I’m just surprised no one has tapped into this. But as Zwiller pointed out, we’re often too snobish. If it isn’t ALL malt then it’s not beer.

[quote=“zwiller”]If anyone here has never brewed “Your Father’s Mustache”
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCQQFjABahUKEwjxwMWqpMfIAhWBJh4KHXQoBRk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.homebrewersassociation.org%2Fattachments%2F0000%2F1298%2FSOzym00-Pilsner.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEA8QdIX49sr_WOiA4RkGuFIHw1dw&sig2=kXoAIAQr66zAMj5ILxCuFg&bvm=bv.105039540,d.dmo&cad=rja
you really need to. If you could get something like that local in 1/6 barrel fresher and cheaper than BMC, now THERE would be a revolution… :cheers: [/quote]

Oh. God yes.

Drinking this style, when properly made, then drinking BMC is like drinking a JFK daiquiri(rum, lime, simple syrup, chilled, martini glass) then going to Friday’s and expecting the same thing.

I actually make this beer as an ale sometimes, fermented w/ US-05 @ 60 degrees for 4 days, then raised to 70* for 6 days and it is a frigging dream.

A lot already do. Many brewerys have a light pilsner on tap that appeals to those drinkers. As far as lite drinkers never going to get them to drink something they havnt seen a cool commercial for. Its all about advertising.

[quote=“Brew Cat”]
A lot already do. Many brewerys have a light pilsner on tap that appeals to those drinkers. As far as lite drinkers never going to get them to drink something they havnt seen a cool commercial for. Its all about advertising.[/quote]

Really? The increased storage cost of tying up fermenters and keeping their work-in-process on the balance sheet longer seems to make lager production near impossible for most small breweries. Ones that last anyway.

They’re getting more and more common up in my neck of the woods. I can think of at least 3 small breweries that regularly have a lager on tap. Of course, they tend to take creative advantage of the winter months as well, and that keeps them from tying up a fermenter.

I have ZERO in my neck of the woods. Everybody wants that pallet wrecking Quad IPA and their whiskey barrel aged cinnamon anise sesame stout here I guess. Can you imagine drinking a beer with rice or corn in it??? THE HORROR! :lol:

Well, the one place makes an awesome Helles…

Pretty common around here in CT. I’m in CO now went a small btewey here and they had three lagers.

Thank God I live in Oregon. We have so many craft breweries it’s just not a problem. If INBEV buys out somebody… we just move over to one of the other local brewers.

I must admit… I don’t understand the mathematics of it all. All I know, is I remember when Ninkasi Total Domination was first around this area… and how it tasted, and smelled. Well, believe me, it ain’t like that any more. They are mass producing and there is a difference in the quality of the old days compared to now.

[quote=“uberculture”]

Now I’ve always tossed around the idea of an independent, craft only distributor. It’s probably impossible, but imagine if someone on the second tier took a stand and said no to big beer. Would independent bottle shops use them (maybe if they were committed to fresh beer, proper storage facilities, etc)? Would they have a chance in the market? Maybe not yet, but if we did have to keep a three tier system, it’s an interesting concept that might be viable someday in the future.[/quote]
Two Brothers in the Chicago area did that when they couldn’t get their beer in a lot of places. One brother ran the brewery and the other ran the distributor to keep it legal in the 3 tier system. They ended up selling to a big distributor a few years ago.

Metropolitan Brewing in Chicago does nothing but lagers and does them well. It was risky when they started, but they’ve established themselves in the area.

Jacks Abby in MA only does lagers also. A lot of places in CT have their beers on tap, they never disappoint. Unfortunately the popularity of IPA has people thinking that’s all that’s out there.