Low-temp cider fermentation not really happening

I’m having a similar experience with 5 gallons of home pressed cider. I added 5 campden tabs as recommended and waited two days before pitching a fresh vial of White Labs English cider yeast. Nothing happened in a weeks time. No signs of fermentation and no change in gravity so I ordered a Wyeast Cider smack pack. It arrived yesterday with a packing date of October 17th so it really couldn’t have been much fresher. I smacked it and it swelled within just a few hours. I pitched and hoped.

Still nothing 24 hours later.

I’ve added nothing but the camden tabs (which I ground into a powder and then racked the juice onto) and the two yeasts. It’s sitting at a very comfortable 66 degrees (which looks to be a little cool for the White Labs but looks fine for the Wyeast). Any thoughts on what could be prohibiting fermentation?

I also have some US-5 and the Cote Des Blancs as backup.

kicks a rock

I guess I’ll give worrying and fretting a shot now. :expressionless:

If I were you I’d add one or the other of your dry yeasts. Fermentation will start within 24 hours.

I’m going to give the Wyeast a few days and then try the Cote Des Blancs. I spent a good deal of effort making 5 gallons of cider so it’s a bit frustrating when absolutley nothing happens. I’m holding good faith that tomorrow after a day of watching football I’ll walk back there and see something starting. :slight_smile:

The worst thing is I brewed a red ale on Wednesday and it’s sitting next to the cider fermenting away happily. I kind of feel sad for the cider. It’s like it didn’t get a date to the prom. :lol:

edit - It looks like the worrying and fretting is paying off! This morning we have a bit of activity! Wooo! :slight_smile: