Little Big Mouth - Hydrometer

My beloved daughter gave me a kit for Christmas, with the little big mouth, and the Centennial SMASH IPA recipe kit. This is my first attempt ever, just bottled 9 with a little extra for a flat sample - its a bit stronger than I anticipated so I’ll top off the wort to a smidge over a gallon next time based on what i’ve read here. Also discovered German neck bottles are narrower than US necks, had to smash the fizz drops in there.

I definitely want a hydrometer for my next batch, so here’s my question: do I need a sampling tube for the hydrometer or could I just pop the hydrometer through the bunghole on the lid of the little big mouth?

Thanks!

You can do either one. Since your doing small batches, it would probably be better for you to just put the hydrometer in the carboy. The only time you’ll need to do that is after fermentation is over or at least the very active portion. It would be hard to stick your hydrometer in the carboy when it’s still fermenting. You just need a decent sized sample of wort/beer to fill the test tube. After doing this potentially a couple times to confirm fermentation has completed, you end up going through beer you’d rather be bottling. Remember, anything that comes into contact with the wort/beer after boiling and cooling, HAS to be sanitized. Sanitize your hydrometer before putting it in there. Good luck

PS: I’ve also seen guys drop the hydrometer in after fermentation has slowed and leave it in there. You avoid taking it in and out for sanitary issues also, you avoid as much oxygenation to your beer. Just a thought.

1 Like

I will suggest getting the sampling tube.

Given this equipment list from Northern Brewer:

a 9" hydrometer doesn’t float in the 5" of wort (one gallon) that’s in the Little Big Mouth Bubbler.

Over in the “Hydrometers and Lost Beer” topic (link), I noted:

Thank you! So I don’t feel as bad I only got 9 bottles out of my first 1 gallon batch :slight_smile:

I put a herculometer and tube in my cart, and look forward to feeling a little more “aware” of what’s going on with the brew. I plan on doing a few more extract recipes before trying all grain. The family is clamoring for cider or apple ale!

Thanks for the advice!

Oh yeah dude I was the same way…" What do you mean I spent 4 hours brewing and I only get 10 beers???" It won’t be long (If not already) before your hunting the internet for bigger equipment

Somewhere, out there, there are people who are small space brewing exceptional beers in under 2 hours from their apartment.

Somewhere, out there, there are people waiting for the snow to melt so they can brew early Saturday morning while the sun is rising.

So if you love to home brew, you are an early riser, and you don’t yet own a house, consider buying one with an east facing driveway :slight_smile:

Many ways to brew it well given the time (and space) that one has.

When I started I didn’t know anyone that brewed less than five gallons. (the exception would be Mr. Beer type beginner kits) Can’t really say I knew anyone that brewed more either. I think it’s great there are one gallon kits. I do have to agree that it’s the same amount of work to get five than it is to get one. Never hard to get rid of left overs. I’ll bet you can find volunteers right here :grinning: For people with limited space that don’t consume a lot of homebrew, small batches still make sense.

2 Likes