Liquid Wyeast pack

You can never go wrong making the starter wort lower OG. Yeast companies use very low gravity wort, although they do continuous feeding. For homebrewers, starter wort around 1.036 is perfect.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]That’s perfect. 1.038 is ideal for a yeast starter.

By the way, the easy way to make any size yeast starter is to use a 10% solution of DME to water. That mean for every 1 liter of starter, use 100 g DME and 900 ml of water. And yes, use metric units. It is much more difficult to calculate in English units. I sent a friend away screaming when I tried to explain how you would do it in English units :slight_smile: [/quote]
I keep thinking about switching to metric for brewing – no more calcs for pounds and ounces! – but I’m too wired to think in English units. I imagine using metric for everything else helps.

[quote=“BrewingRover”][quote=“rebuiltcellars”]That’s perfect. 1.038 is ideal for a yeast starter.

By the way, the easy way to make any size yeast starter is to use a 10% solution of DME to water. That mean for every 1 liter of starter, use 100 g DME and 900 ml of water. And yes, use metric units. It is much more difficult to calculate in English units. I sent a friend away screaming when I tried to explain how you would do it in English units :slight_smile: [/quote]
I keep thinking about switching to metric for brewing – no more calcs for pounds and ounces! – but I’m too wired to think in English units. I imagine using metric for everything else helps.[/quote]
Using metric for everything would make sense, but I’m in the same situation as you. I’ve pretty much made the transition for everyday stuff, and I’ll calculate brewing volumes in liters, but I’ve just got a feel for how much grain and hops to use with English units. And while I’ll decide which coat I should wear based on the °C outside, I still calculate the mash in °F.