Lager season 2016

Light colored,yes strong,yes lager,yes hoppy not so much. Bock’s are malt forward usually with Munich as the base. But you can call it a hoppy maibock if you drink it in May.

1 Like

Oh man, now i gotta wait… Sneezles61

Well now, I’m going to try another experimental brew. I will do just a 5-er, 8 lbs. pilsner malt, 2 lbs basmati rice, and 6 oz. dark munich, 34/70 yeast, challenger hops at the end of the boil, say 6 oz., ah say about 5.4% ABV. Just toying with stuff. Sneezles61

Just moved the second keg of my Cinco de Mayo Vienna lager, brewed May 5, 2016, from the chest freezer/lager chamber to the serving fridge. It was a little stirred up from the move but I wanted to check it out so I poured about half a pint. Definitely some yeast present but the Vienna malt is there and it’s pretty well balanced with hops. I think it’s going to be a pretty good beer. It’s a little cloudy right now but give it a day or 2.

Cinco de Mayo Vienna Lager
55 percent vienna, 28 percent pils, 17 percent munich malt mashed BIAB at 151 degrees, 60 minutes, 5.49 mash pH per brunwater, confirmed by my meter, 2 qts/lb mash thickness. Sparged with 190 degree 5.4pH water to pre-boil volume. 25.3 IBU hallertau tradition at 60 mins and a whirlfloc tab at 15. Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager slurry, 3rd gen from a March pilsner. 2206 is pretty much my house lager yeast. It’s malt focused, attenuates consistenly and drops really clear. I’ve used it for bohemian pils, viennas, munichs, dunkels and even doppel bocks and even once with my Ofest recipe, and always produced good beers.

Easy brew day. Great beer. I love brewing this beer. I think this recipe is almost spot on @loopie_beer’s recipe he shared a couple years ago in this forum. It’s a staple at my place. Everyone loves it. Thanks Loop!

1 Like

That IS a very good looking brew even with some of the yeast in suspension. I’ve got to do my experiment and then with 2nd gen of the 34/70, I would like to attempt this grain bill, ifn you and loopie don’t mind. Are you building up yer water from RO? Thats what I’ve been doing as of late and my pH has been easier to adjust. Sneezles61

Go for it man!

I’ve done a 50% dilute with distilled h2o a few times but this one was brewed with my well water and the Vienna water profile in brunwater.

1 Like

I brewed yesterday, I did the rice adjunct brew. 10 pounds pilsner malt, 1.75 pounds basmati rice for a 5-er, 34/70 yeast, centennial bittering, US Fuggles for aroma. I was beside me self when my gravity showed up at… 1.075! I wasn’t trying for that strong a brew!:dizzy_face: Well its happily fermenting away this AM. I did Loopies starter style, was very pleased and will keep employing that. Anybody else have an un expected gain as such? Sneezles61

I found out I can freeze distill in my conicals with my homemade glycol chiller. It was done on accident. I went to keg a 5.6% lager awhile ago and came up 2gal short. I thought WTF?!?!? Opened the top and saw this:

So less water and more alcohol? Maybe get…. Loopier quicker?:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:Sneezles61

Glycol chiller. Much to advanced for my brewing style.

OK , less see your build

1 Like

Here is the glycol system:

. It’s composed of a window AC evaporator in a cooler. The pumps are in the cooler and pump the glycol through coils.

Here are a couple temp controllers, showing different temps for each beer. I have a 7gal conical and two 14gal conicals. I’m not posting pics of that because their respective companies don’t pay me to advertise. :slight_smile: of course by looking at the controllers you can figure it out. The 3rd controller is actually attached to the conical.

I ran pex tubing up the back of the table to tubing that connects to the coils. The lines are insulated as well.

Yes! The problem is it drinks like a lager but is potent as sh!+.

1 Like

Impressive

I got an ice cube maker that was defunct. Well, I salvager the pump to recirc the water and the the ice cube maker coil its self… What a coil. I also got a condiment cooling set up, so I hope someday I can combine the 2 and build a fermenting chamber…. Did I say that I have to demo a walk in cooler in the next month? Geez the stuff I can come across… Sneezles61

I about built a walk-in cooler in the basement. Would never worry about fridge space again! Just need to find the space.

1 Like

Brewing a czech pils today. First brew day in over a month and half. Really nice fall day but lots of leaves and stuff in the wind!

Additional fermentables!:smile:

Or even some added aroma’s? Sneezles61

just fished a couple leaves and a couple crepe myrtle seed pods out…could be an interesting pils!! I think I’ll boil partly covered today!

Mash went really well. Got 106% mash efficiency though…so the abv will be a bit high…increased my bittering hops. I don’t really want to lighten up the grist bill on this beer but I’ve opened the mill as much as I want to for bigger beers. Thought about sparging less but even my first runnings are higher than expected.

I’ve liked the recipe every time I’ve brewed it but it gets stronger every time so I feel like I’m still chasing the sharp bitterness I want. I mashed cooler today at 151. I do still want the body and malt presence in the beer. Don’t want it too dry. Had a fresh draught plisner urquell this weekend and it refreshed my mind as to what I’m going for. Had a bit more body than I’d remembered and good malt backbone but not as much mouthfeel as my last couple iterations have had. Thouht about mashing under 150 but like I said I don’t want to dry it out too much.

I ended up with a1.25 gals more wort that I need so I’m going to boil longer. Went ahead and dropped the bittering hops in as well so I"ll get more ibu from them. Seems like I’m winging it but I like to thing these are intuitively well informed adjustments on the fly. No I haven’t started drinking yet.

1 Like