Is anyone else 'over' black IPAs?

That’s exactly what I’m talking about right there. What’s the point of adding some expensive malt-based coloring agent that doesn’t even do anything at all to the flavor of the beer, just to make it black? I don’t get that at all. If someone just added black food coloring to a beer, they’d be called a hack or a cheater, but if they use “Sinimar” (oooh- big whoop), it’s somehow looked at differently. Don’t get me wrong- I’d never berate anyone for giving their beer whatever color they want, I just can’t understand the motivation behind it. Why can’t some people just make a tasty IPA and call it good?[/quote]
There’s enough ipa out there how bout some more people make something besides pale ale and ipa iipa and ris.

Cross Dressing Professionals are okay? :?

Last year I racked a gallon of a batch of IPA into a separate carboy and cold steeped some midnight wheat to add and make some black IPA. It turned out pretty good.
I entered both versions in a local competition. The IPA got 34.3 and the black IPA got 40.3 and would have done better with more dry hops.

Uh, this was done as a joke. He knew of my dislike for the “style”.

That’s exactly what I’m talking about right there. What’s the point of adding some expensive malt-based coloring agent that doesn’t even do anything at all to the flavor of the beer, just to make it black? I don’t get that at all. If someone just added black food coloring to a beer, they’d be called a hack or a cheater, but if they use “Sinimar” (oooh- big whoop), it’s somehow looked at differently. Don’t get me wrong- I’d never berate anyone for giving their beer whatever color they want, I just can’t understand the motivation behind it. Why can’t some people just make a tasty IPA and call it good?[/quote]
There’s enough ipa out there how bout some more people make something besides pale ale and ipa iipa and ris.[/quote]

Amen to that. If anyone’s going to make any more imperial strength beers and try to make a style out of it, I’d like to see it done with brown ale. That’s one of my favorite styles, and I’d love to see someone make a strong one that’s really good, without adding too much in the way of flavoring agents. I can recall very few that have been made in that style, and didn’t cost an arm and a leg.

Imperial brown ale= robust porter

Not necessarily. Brown ales rarely have any of the roasted flavors of porters, and porters almost never have any of the pronounced caramel flavors of brown ales. I don’t think alcoholic strength has anything to do with it, either. There are brown ales like Moose Drool that resemble porters, but an example like that is pretty rare, really, and I can’t think of a single porter that could be mistaken for a brown ale, no matter what it’s alcohol content.

In my eyes an imperial brown, or imperial red are just old ales or barleywines - labeled something else for marketing reasons.

Not sure if this is a Black IPA but this is awesome.
http://www.darkhorsebrewery.com/reserve-black-ale/

So yeah, this is a super old topic, but I freaking love black IPA’s. :innocent: I tend to brew them more in the winter season but I ALWAYS sample them when I find them on tap somewhere. I just ordered a bottle of Black Baal from Tavour which is listed as a triple Black IPA. I’ll post back a picture and review after I sample it.

:beers:
Rad

I like malt.

In other news, I tried a purple IPA this evening (seriously) that was actually pretty tasty.

Now that would be a picture to see… How would you come up the color purple? Sneezles61

Eggplant skin.

Fining with grape jello.

Butterfly pea flowers. Look it up; it’s everywhere. Jump on the bandwagon. I might!

Saw those on iron chef gauntlet.

:confounded: Sneezles61

[quote=“dmtaylo2, post:55, topic:1313”]
Butterfly pea flowers
[/quote]Do not diss the Butterfly Pee (which is what you call it in a house of yungins’) While fairly boring taste wise it is a joy to make and a lot of fun to play with as it is a drinkable Ph strip. An excellent science/ harry potter hybrid for my kids potion class. (While I’m making the real potions)

1 Like

Your chase butterflies around, and capturing their… pee? What? :joy: Sneezles61

See you are hooked already… yes that is what we do.