Is a Refractometer worth having?

Play around with a conversion calculator at some point, and you’ll realize that getting the most exact reading with the refractometer isn’t so critical. Every gravity point means around a 0.2 difference in Brix. So the difficulty in getting an exact reading will give pretty similar levels of error for a 0-32 Brix refractometer as it will for a standard 3-scale hydrometer.

This is why I use precision hydrometers. :wink:

All I can say again is I used my manual, scope style or 0-32 etc…for years and even though I might read 12.4 Brix on a manual and it is actually 12.2 means less than nothing in fact less than 1.001** Thus due to the fact that there was chance of human error and went through 3 units in 7 years, I have now eliminated this factor with a Digi and never have to look at hydrometers of any type be it $6 tri scale, $20+ precision or “cheapo” refracts again as my digi is a way better tool overall in the scope of what is available for homebrewers pricing and precision accuracy. You can state everything you would like about expensive “precision” hydro’s…until you buy and use a digi then tell me about accuracy and ease!–> :mrgreen: <—

Example:
**12.2 Brix = 1.05133
**12.4 Brix = 1.05217
Total difference between 0.2 Brix typically = 1.00084
In my experience the most you will be off on a manual refract is going to be around 0.2 Brix unless your calibration is wack. Have any of you stout supporters used your manual refract along with your precision hydrometers and seen the apples to apples here. Or is this just going to continue to be some weird shake the stick at refractometers thread?

Being neurotic is a disease.

You mean precision and ease. Accuracy is a function of calibration and measurement repeatability, and is independent of how many decimal places a device reports. There is no doubt that a digital device will make reading easier, but that is no guarantee of accuracy.

Then again, how accurate do you really need for this? Ball park is good enough for me to know if my process is going as expected.

You mean precision and ease. Accuracy is a function of calibration and measurement repeatability, and is independent of how many decimal places a device reports. There is no doubt that a digital device will make reading easier, but that is no guarantee of accuracy.

Then again, how accurate do you really need for this? Ball park is good enough for me to know if my process is going as expected.[/quote]

#1 You seem to be one of the better, more sociable members. So I will keep my response to your rhetoric short and simple and am asking you to put a pause on your reasoning here for trying to debase/demerit the conversation in some way. I have shown the OP a refract is the way to go IF your looking at options. If he/ she wants stalwart then they would simply buy a hydro and not ask for opinions in the first place. He/ She obviously knows how a “precision” hydrometer works, but is (was)probably in the dark at the beginning of this thread about refractometers usage in general, that cheaper digis exist if your willing to look, and many peoples thoughts on their usage for all parameters again probably not known initially. Be honest, were you yourself aware of Sean’s calculator and how to use it accurately?

Even if you by some slim chance were aware, their is a very small percentage of homebrewers aware of this ability to make precise and accurate FSG readings with refractometers. Sure calculators have existed for years but accuracy was not assured. Sean sat down and found out the correct angle and now its free for all to use. As demonstrated, I for one am quite glad for his dedication and knowledge as I use this app all the time now and it is a great tool to have in the box.

#2 How accurate do you need it to be? Ballpark. Wonderful. Now leave others to their own comfort levels/ need for knowledge on this particular question and/ or bugger off if you don’t need to check final gravity with a refractometer or want near precision tools, others might. I hope I have shown newer brewers with inquiring minds that this task can be done now with ease and accuracy.

This has been an interesting conversation with a good points on all sides. For me, the moral of the story is:

• Any one of the tools we have been discussing (standard triple scale hydro, precision/lab grade hydro, tube refrac or digital refrac) will do the trick for our purposes. It comes down to preferences and how much money one wants to spend on the tools.
  • This is not an either/or proposition. I do not see a refractometer as an “upgrade” to a hydrometer (see the OP’s original question) or as a downgrade. Different tools achieving the same thing in a different way. I’ve found a meaningful place for a refractometer and hydrometer in my processes.

I would consider a digital refractometer an upgrade over a standard hydrometer. This is a tempting purchase for me, but not until I run out of other more value added upgrades to make.