How Do You Aerate Your Wort? (Poll)

When you drop that carboy, I hope you don’t hurt anything more than your back! Please don’t do that again.

Do you not use a stir plate for starters?[/quote]
Yes, I use a stirplate. Are you thinking that pure O2 would not be necessary in a starter if a stirplate is used?

I use o2 and a .5 micron stone. Even though I use a stir plate,I still add o2 to the starter. Before pitching yeast in the primary I add o2 for about 90 seconds.

Yes, I use a stirplate. Are you thinking that pure O2 would not be necessary in a starter if a stirplate is used?[/quote]

no it would not be, thats what a stirplate is for is to bring in O2 to the starter

I always listen to music when I brew, so I just rock the carboy for at least one whole song. Usually 3-5 minutes or so. Well actually, there are exceptions to that. Pink Floyd’s Shine On You Crazy Diamond Pt. 1 came on one time. I had to cut that one short because my arms were getting tired :slight_smile:

Thanks Denny and Joel for mentioning the Mix-stir. I plan on making wine soon for a Mother’s Day gift so I need to pick up a Mix-stir for degassing. It can have a dual purpose for me.

[quote=“grainbelt”][quote=“Ken Lenard”][quote=“kcbeersnob”]

Yes, I use a stirplate. Are you thinking that pure O2 would not be necessary in a starter if a stirplate is used?[/quote]

no it would not be, thats what a stirplate is for is to bring in O2 to the starter[/quote]
I suppose but the stirplate would help to bring AIR to the starter but not pure O2. I can’t see how it could hurt.

Homemade SS mix-stir for my 25gal batches.

Believe me Denny, I have learned my lesson. I will find a new way

[quote]

no it would not be, thats what a stirplate is for is to bring in O2 to the starter[/quote]
I suppose but the stirplate would help to bring AIR to the starter but not pure O2. I can’t see how it could hurt.[/quote]

wouldnt hurt, but probably pointless

Tilt the carboy 45 deg and shake/roll it back and forth.

Do you add O2 to high gravity beers during fermentation?

[quote=“BrewBum”]
Thanks Denny and Joel for mentioning the Mix-stir. I plan on making wine soon for a Mother’s Day gift so I need to pick up a Mix-stir for degassing. It can have a dual purpose for me.[/quote]

I originally purchased the mix-stir to de-gas a batch of wine, but I have foind that it does a great job aerating wort. I generally run it full speed until I foam up almost to the mouth of the carboy. I’ve never regretted the purchase.

I gravity feed from my kettle to my bucket fermentor through a plate chiller, and a few years ago I poked a small hole in the tubing about a foot before the outlet to entrain air into the wort. It works, but not well enough and I’ve been pouring the wort back and forth a couple times between buckets. Last week I purchased a mix-stir after finally remembering to look for one when I was in the home-improvement store, so I’ll give that a try.

Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking. Continuous exposure to ~21% oxygen should be good enough for maximum growth. I’d be curious to see the cell count results of any side-by side experiments that have been done under both conditions.

I floated this idea over on another board and it was confirmed… don’t bother oxygenating a starter if it’s going on a stirplate. It’s a waste of oxygen. One of the responders there was Martin Brungard too. KC, you are correct!

told you

Do you add O2 to high gravity beers during fermentation?[/quote]

yes, before pitching and then another after 16-24hr or so and maybe another dose at 24-32hr depending on what I am making

Good to know. I was doing the same as you Ken.
Thanks.

Thanks.[/quote]
You are very welcome.

What I also mentioned over in the other conversation was that I was noticing that the starters I made with pure O2 seemed to get off to a nice start and get active quite quickly. I was thinking that yeast that is going into a starter is looking for oxygen RIGHT NOW so the O2 in the starter wort was beneficial. I’m in deep water because I don’t really know the science behind this but I know the way my starters have been behaving lately with the O2. If I make another starter soon (without O2) and see that it’s off to a sluggish start, I might raise an eyebrow.

Thanks.[/quote]
You are very welcome.

What I also mentioned over in the other conversation was that I was noticing that the starters I made with pure O2 seemed to get off to a nice start and get active quite quickly. I was thinking that yeast that is going into a starter is looking for oxygen RIGHT NOW so the O2 in the starter wort was beneficial. I’m in deep water because I don’t really know the science behind this but I know the way my starters have been behaving lately with the O2. If I make another starter soon (without O2) and see that it’s off to a sluggish start, I might raise an eyebrow.[/quote]

your just growing yeast your not making beer