Hop Growing Thread 2014

I left mine unattended for a week after thinning and they are a mess. Hard to believe that they got snowed on just a few days ago…
[attachment=0]Mt Hood explosion.jpg[/attachment]

Just ordered a Zeus rhizome. Totally late I the game, but it’s all fun and games.

Just noticed my Cascade and Centennial are already coming up here in MN.

Checked my hops late yesterday and all 6 of my plants have new buds emerging! Not bad for hops that got started late last year and had an awful winter/early spring.

(cascade, mt.hood, santiam, fuggle)

I cut mine off twice. Just going to let them go now. Went out today after a nice soaking rain and my Mt Hood is already above 6ft.
[attachment=0]Mt Hood 4-21.jpg[/attachment]

Well, roots are poking out of my plantable pots now, so I guess I need to plant sooner rather than later. I feel like a nervous father, sending them out to fend for themselves. Lesson learned: Not really any advantage to starting indoors.

Quick question. I trimmed off all dozen or so new shoots off of my 2nd year centennial a few weeks ago. Went out today and realized I already have several more new shoots that have popped up. What should I do with the new shoots?

Anybody in the Twin Cities have shoots yet?

I have 3 nugget plants on there 2 year. they all started popping up 10 days ago. I’m 50 miles south of the twin cities. there going slow for now but when the temps get higher I’m sure they will shoot for the roof in no time.

Once you start training the main shoots upward, you keep trimming the shoots to give more energy to the main bines

Shoots from three plants that are in their fourth or fifth year. Cascade, Cent, and Sterling.

Farmington

From zero to 12’ + in 40 days. What an amazing plant.

I’ve had a lot of success this year with my 2 year and 1st year plants. Both are at least 20ft up and are spitting out cones. I did lose one cascade plant to spider mites this year. How is everyone else doing?

All of my hop plants are on their 2nd year- and doing well. All about 15 feet tall. L->R 2 fuggles, santiam, mt.hood, and 2 cascades

[attachment=1]20140622_110344 - Copy.jpg[/attachment]

They’re gorgeous (to me) except the fuggles (2 of them) are having a rough time. The leaves are showing some white/brown spots and dry curling of the edges. I’m guessing I’m just not watering them enough? I survey my plants for bugs every few days, and haven’t seen anything macroscopic.

[attachment=0]20140702_205325 - Copy.jpg[/attachment]

I think I have some burrs on my first year Chinook. Makes me pretty happy. I’d upload pics, but my mobile browser doesn’t support it.

The burrs are starting to turn into cones! :mrgreen:

[attachment=0]20140718_070050-copy.jpg[/attachment]

I love this part.

[quote=“B-Hoppy”][quote=“holaday1185”]I have a 2nd year centennial…

Also, it’s a good idea to knock off the first flush of growth as those first shoots produce some very irregular growth and are the ones that tend to contain any disease spores (if you have any downy mildew) lurking. There’ll be many more shoots to come if they did fairly well for you last year. If they struggled, you can go ahead and let everything grow if you like but your harvest will be staggered.[/quote][/quote]

I’ve seen mention of this before but it wasn’t clear the reason or how long to remove shoots. Do you just remove the very first flush of shoots, or do you do it again? Thanks.

It kinda depends on the variety. Some should be trained early and others climb really fast so you can keep thinning those out for a while longer. It takes time to figure out which ones are which depending on your location.