High FG?

I would rehydrate another sachet of whatever dry yeast you used and re-pitch to try and get down to a respectable FG. I don’t think you need to worry about making a starter at this point. That will cause you to wait another day. Just get some fresh yeast in there ASAP.

Do you know what temperatures your fermentation is experiencing?

[quote=“LarryTate”]I would rehydrate another sachet of whatever dry yeast you used and re-pitch to try and get down to a respectable FG. I don’t think you need to worry about making a starter at this point. That will cause you to wait another day. Just get some fresh yeast in there ASAP.

Do you know what temperatures your fermentation is experiencing?[/quote]

I was told from a brewer that because of the 4% alcohol I should make a starter. I made a starter yesterday and am adding it today.

my temp for fermentation is 68-70.

You know, I have to agree with you on the contamination risk factor there. I’m still a bit stuck in the mindset of when I first messed with homebrewing, and my LHBS DIDN’T SELL A COVER FOR THE PRIMARY. :shock: So the issue then was to get the beer into the secondary ASAP. The challenges of sanitation eventually turned me off of this hobby for over 15 years, and I’ve just returned now that there has been so many improvements in chemicals, equipment, and knowledge (i.e., everyone on this forum). Honestly, even though I read accounts of beer in a primary for 2 weeks or more, I’m still having a hard time trusting it. I’m trying to get over that.

@ Zaniricci - I didn’t mean to hijack your thread here. Assuming that you do indeed make a starter and repitch, please post what happens.

Never make a starter with dry yeast, just rehydrate it.

I would disagree. When trying to restart a stuck fermentation, pitching active yeast trumps maximizing reproduction, IMHO.

I would disagree. When trying to restart a stuck fermentation, pitching active yeast trumps maximizing reproduction, IMHO.[/quote]

That and you might want to “feed” the slurry a little sugar then add some of the beer a little at a time to get it acclimated to the temp and ABV.

You’re probably right - I was just reacting on autopilot to the idea of making a starter with dry yeast. If I ever have another stuck fermentation, might be fun to do a side-by-side comparison between the two options.