Has anyone brewed a Classic American Pilsner?

Wonderful posting thank you!

I’ve brewed a few; usually it’s a January brew for me when corners of the house are coldest. Usually I use flaked maize but this year I went with corn grits and a cereal mash; after reading all the responses I’ve got to try grits without pre cooking…

This year’s model used 16% corn grits, 3% caramel pils and 2% acidulated malt with a 60-40 mix of American 6-row and German pils malts; 1 oz Saaz for first wort hopping and late boil additions for last 20 (1 oz) and 10 (1.5 oz) minutes and half the brew’s bitterness from Clusters for the 60 minute bittering addition.

I used a Bohemian Lager yeast starter (WY 2124) and I didn’t use irish moss. Extended lagering after bottling resulted in crystal clear beer.

I used the no sparge technique for a richer wort (and I’m lazy).

For the first time I racked my beer 24 hours after pitching the yeast to get it off the trub. This made for very clean finished beer.

Best CAP I’ve ever made. OG 1045 (kind of low) 38 ibus estimated (just about right for my taste)

I’ve made a few versions of NB’s pre-pro lager. I use noble hops and bump the IBU’s up to the 30’s. I balance the water for more bitter beers and it turns out gooooooooood.

I am going to try this one. One question - at what point do you add the maize to the mash? At the beginning? Or later on?

Brewing techinques from morebeer suggest adding it later…

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/l ... tml#spring

For fantome:

Those recipes add the maize after the clarifying protein rest. I don’t bother with protein rest - I rely on a long lagering period after bottling to clarify my brew. This worked great and I didn’t use Irish moss in my last CAP brew session.

I suspect the main advantage to adding the maize later is to have a more manageable mash quantity at lower temperatures. Am pretty sure there’s very little protein in maize so it isn’t needed until the saccharification rests.

cheers!

has anyone tried John Palmers true american lager recipe from his book.

are you talking about Your Father’s Moustache? I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard its a legendary beer.

FYI, I made Jamil’s CAP with US-05 fermented at 60 degrees, and it was great. Going to try it again with a kolsch yeast to kick off a little more sulfur, then the authentic version, maybe with WY2206 or the WL equivalent Bavarian Lager yeast.

are you talking about Your Father’s Moustache? I haven’t tried it, but I’ve heard its a legendary beer.

FYI, I made Jamil’s CAP with US-05 fermented at 60 degrees, and it was great. Going to try it again with a kolsch yeast to kick off a little more sulfur, then the authentic version, maybe with WY2206 or the WL equivalent Bavarian Lager yeast.[/quote]

yes thats the one, I’ve been looking to do a lager and thinking about giving this a try for my family that can’t seem to get past the bud light barrier

FYI, I made Jamil’s CAP with US-05 fermented at 60 degrees, and it was great. Going to try it again with a kolsch yeast to kick off a little more sulfur, then the authentic version, maybe with WY2206 or the WL equivalent Bavarian Lager yeast.[/quote]

yes thats the one, I’ve been looking to do a lager and thinking about giving this a try for my family that can’t seem to get past the bud light barrier[/quote]

I will tell you, I made Jamil’s CAP, which is similar, with US-05 yeast, fermented @ 60 degrees, as I didn’t want to commit the time to a lager. It is fantastic. I can really see how the grain bill/hops would be enhanced with a super clean, slightly sulfuric lager yeast and lagering.

I’m going to try another faux CAP with kolsch yeast, to see if I can coax a little sulfur character, and still finish it @ ale temps (if that makes sense), but am going to do a proper CAP with a lager yeast/schedule soon.