Grass Metallic Taste, need help

Winston-Salem has pulled their water from the Yadkin for decades.

Private Rye Undercover Brown Ale will will have completed fermentation on Monday and will be cold crashed, then bottled Thursday. Since this batch used my filtered water I will only be modifying my bottling. Using all the advice I have received, this will be how I bottle the Private Rye.

I was going to get some Star San, but my local beer supply store packed their stuff up and are gone.

So I am going to use the One Step I have to sanitize the bottles, but I am going to rinse each bottle, after sanitizing, with distilled water.

Instead of cain sugar will will be using corn sugar.

Bottles of beer will be boxed up and conditioned at 72F , for four weeks.

Amazon has Star San at great prices and can be there in 2 days with prime. A no rinse sanitizer just seems more ideal and less work during an already tedious task of bottling.

2 Likes

If I couldn’t get star-san in time I’d be tempted to kick it old school and use bleach followed by a good rinse.

Not sure how bleach would react with PET bottles and with other accidents which could occur … hmmmm I better stay away from that. One Step really has good reviews and I have not seen any signs of infection. I do like working with it, so I am still going to give it a chance, but give each bottle a good rinse, should only add about 5 minutes of time to the process.

I will have some Star San before I start my IPA kit.

Yeah that’s a good thought… I forgot you were using PET bottles. Skip the bleach.

Also please try a different yeast. Especially for an IPA. OR if you still have some of the Mr. Cooper yeast go back to that for a test. You are using 2 LBKs and making a split batch so use a different yeast in each.

Looking at the kits you have chosen it’s interesting that you lean to the Goldings/Fuggle/Willamette each time coupled with a Chocolate/Black/ or 80L each time. All of these are good in my book. Hopefully your IPA breaks this trend for comparison.

The Private Rye and the Kama Citra IPA both use US-05 yeast, so something different yeast wise. I also have a bottle of Caribou Slobber and an Irish Red chilling to let my friend sample. I have not let anyone drink these because they taste so bad. I will provide you guys with the favors he is getting from them.

They “taste so bad” that you won’t let anyone drink them is taking all this to a new level. I didn’t realize they were that bad.
US-05 is barely a step up but at least you will be at an easier temperature range of 64-82°F. But now you have to watch out for stalling you maintain your old temperature.

Yea , I think it is that bad.

The data sheet for US-05 is as you say with a temp range of 64F - 82F. I fermented Private Rye at 64F.

However the Safale yeast packet of us-05 list the ideal temperature range as 59F - 71.6F. I was considering a fermentation temp of 59F. With the fermentation chamber I have the luxury of choosing the temperature.

04 and 05 are both clean yeasts so I wouldn’t worry about hugging the bottom of the range

Just bottled the Private Rye, using the One Step, but rinsing the bottles after sanitizing, with distilled water. Also used corn sugar instead of the cain sugar.

The sample taken before bottling, was clear and tasted very good.

1 Like

Why would you rise with water after sanitizing?

I mean,
I clean and rise,
Sanitize (at proper dilution) or Sterilize (Oven)
then Bottle.

Anything after Sanitizing adds risk.

1 Like

Well you should be fine. I agree with TomW. You sanitize with no rinse and your done (ie starsan and bottles upside-down) But we should be saying congrats, you’ve got beer. If you did not take a gravity reading I would be saying something like “Wasn’t that only a week of fermenting? Thats a little fast to bottle.” umm did you find out your FG?

14 days in the primary and 7 days in the secondary.

And the the reason for the rinse of the bottles after sanitizing is to see if the One Step was causing the off favor, I have experienced in the other brews.

Same goes for using the corn sugar instead of Cain sugar.

Does not make any sense doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

1 Like

Stop using one step for sanitizing bottles it completely defeats the purpose if you have to then wash them again. I highly doubt you can taste the difference between corn and cane sugar. There just is not enough in the beer for you to taste in the beginning let alone after it is consumed by the yeast. But it doesn’t really matter which you use if you are happy with the results. I would encourage you to try and use bottling bucket instead of dosing each bottle.

I’m more curious how they taste once carbed… I will say… If the one step DIDNT do its job, you’ll know… Sneezles61

How are you filling your bottles? Pouring into the bottles through a spigot, or siphoning and filling from the bottom of the bottle with tubing? Just a thought, but oxidized hops taste grassy to me.

1 Like

I am filling by way of a spigot, leaning the bottles at an angle and carefully running the beer down the side of the bottle, as to not agitate it.

The One Step, from my understanding works by releasing oxygen during its sanitizing process.
So when using One Step to sanitize the fermentation equipment should not be a problem because oxygen introduced to the wort is a good thing.

However when using the One Step to sanitize the bottles could be the problem. The residual One Step, left in the bottles after sanitizing, maybe introducing oxygen to the beer after fermentation which could be leading to the bad taste.

Just a theory I am running with, hence the reason for the rinse after sanitizing. Adding distilled water to each bottle, for the rinse, from a sealed gallon jug, seems fairly low risk for contamination.

The use of corn sugar was really the only other thing I could change to the bottling process, which could, maybe, effect the taste.

1 Like