Grain Belt Blu replication

Update, Second batch much better, thanks all!

Once again, the base was the cream ale extract kit. To this I added 1 pound of lactose sugar.

Waited 2 weeks, and racked. Crushed 12 bounds of frozen blueberries using a rolling-pin and added to the secondary fermenter.

Waited 4 weeks - life was busy. Racked the beer for bottling. Well, less racking and more of pouring the beer though a mesh netting to filter out the solid blueberries chunks. Not exactly a clear beer but clear enough that I could actually bottle it without the spigot getting clogged.

Better body, more taste, and was sweeter.

Just so I understand you, the beer went through mesh netting after fermentation? Can you detail this process?

Crudely.

Secondary fermentation was done in a 8 gallon food safe pail. Secondary fermentation was decent.

I tried using a syphon in my first batch but that go clogged. This time a sanitized a large nylon mesh bag and put that on top of my secondary fermentator and carefully poured the contents into my bottling bucket.

The result was decent. The end product was a bit dirty with sediment at the bottom but the beer was naturally condition so you would expect that.

Don’t pour the beer post fermentation. You want to avoid O2 uptake as much as possible after fermentation. This will likely become oxidized.

In the future you can put the mesh on the racking cane or on the end of the tubing to assist in avoiding the fruit.

1 Like