Got a stupid question

Haha so true. I even have 2 sitting on my desk at my day job!

I took one of my many growlers with us to Florida from NY a few of years ago since we would be by a great micro for a couple of weeks. Brought it in to get filled and they said “we can’t fill that”. Turned out it was a half gallon and in Florida up until 2015 they could fill up to a quart then one gallon and up. Now I also own a gallon growler. The owner thought the reasoning might have been to prevent the sale of “40s” Forty oz bottles of mostly malt liquor and have people hanging out on the corners with them in paper bags. Please correct mt if the last part is wrong my Floridian friends.

The old law hurt the micros as sometimes a quart isn’t enough especially if there are two of you and a gallon is too much. Well not for me :laughing:

Got a little off topic there but it was about beer.

Things may have changed, but about three years ago I tried to buy a growler (my growler from a place in Ohio) from a brewpub near Indianapolis and they said they couldn’t fill a growler from someplace else. The manager saved the day by applying a large sticker from their place over the top of the original growler label.

1 Like

I’ve heard FL is not brewery friendly. Odd

They are way better now. When we first started going to the Keys Sierra Nevada PA was about the only craft beer I could find. Now the grocery stores have a decent selection and there are micros in Key West and Islamorada.

[quote=“hd4mark, post:22, topic:23282, full:true”]
The owner thought the reasoning might have been to prevent the sale of “40s” Forty oz bottles of mostly malt liquor and have people hanging out on the corners with them in paper bags.

No idea if this was really the reasoning behind that law but seriously? They thought people who stand on the corner with a 40 in a bag are going to pay craft brew $$ to get that 40? I kinda doubt it.

Danny,
I’m not sure if the law was aimed at craft beer. I don’t think you could by containers between 32 and 128oz in the grocery either.

Our nephew was in a frat at FSU and they drove to Alabama to buy 40s. They played a game called Edward 40 hands. They duct taped a 40 in each hand and not cut the tape until you drank both.

2 Likes