Git R back running

Almost $30k for the HD electric. Think I will stick with gas.

1 Like

Electric… its in its infancy stage… But the thought… you take a DC servo motor… It doesnt ramp up like a gas engine… you apply 100% power… its at 100% power… I suppose with that in mind, their will need to be a variable freq to keep from burning the tires off the rims!
Sneezles61
EDIT: also the pollution from the tail pipe… How about the pollen being tough on us?

14,000lb towing capacity on the Cybertruck as well as instant full torque. Better make sure the dishes in the third wheel are secured.

1 Like

I saw an e-bicycle in LA ( ONYX Motorbikes ) that sells for about 5k. You can do 60 mph on it and it produces 134 ft.lbs of torque immediately. You can get a dirt bike kit for it with knobbies and a dirt fender and they say it’s like riding a 2 stroke 250cc dirt bike only quiet.

@hd4mark they’re in the same range of many of the HD combustion engine bikes but yea I hear ya. That’s one of the reasons I have an old bike. The CVO’s are 40k plus now I think. The new M8 motor is apparently a beast though. Even custom builders are saying it’s the best engine the moco has ever built.

1 Like

A couple years ago, I asked the money guy to see what options are out there for E-bicycles… Shimano was about the only publicly held stock… the others are private… I think the population is going to migrate towards electric powered gizmo’s… Well, it was a thought…
Yesterday, I took the ct90 around the driveway… Need a few more little things to wrap it up… then I’ll take some pictures…
Sneezles61

Every delivery person here has an electric scooter. The really popular restaurants have fleets of 5 to 10 of them parked outside. The brands are all foreign to my recollection. I think Asia is a decade ahead of us in thinking the EBike out.

1 Like

I wonder what drives the E-bikes over there… The cost of fuel, or the getting and delivering it?
Sneezles61

1 Like

There is a much stronger bike/ 2 wheeler culture from what I understand. It’s a way of life not a recreational thing. I think it’s a little funny that people put their bikes of the back of their cars to go and bike somewhere new. I bet that’s not going on in places where people use them for wok.
“60 percent of local cyclists in Shanghai (most populous city in China) pedal to work every day. The city is home to 9,430,000 million bicycles and 19,213,200 people.”
“In the USA only 0,9% of all trips are made by bike. The average distance cycled per person is 0.1 km.”

1 Like

I use my Ebike for trips to the grocery if it’s only for a few things I can fit in the basket and on the cargo rack. It just makes sense not to use the big SUV for a short trip and it’s more fun. Usually I pedal there and let it help on the way back. This only works at our snowbird place because there are bike paths. Our summer place has no bike paths, store is too far and you might get run over on the shoulder of the road.

The cargo rack in my Ebike with a couple of bungee cords can hold a case of beer. I get some laughs and thumbs up with that.

2 Likes

Yesterday, we went for a long bicycle ride into town and around… We encountered some E-bikes… heading up a hill… they looked nice and relaxed… traveled at a good clip too! Wife claims she’d get rid of her “old manual” bikes if I got her one of those…
So the sale of the Trail90 should buy her bike… :unamused: I was thinking a new Gibson guitar…
Sneezles61

it’s fuel, cost of cars, and probably most of all traffic congestion. If everyone I saw on Bali riding a scooter/e-bike/motorcycle drove a car they’d have non stop gridlock.

edit: AND as @squeegeethree says above it’s now just part of their culture. Custom bikes and choppers are becoming a huge thing in Indonesia and Thailand now. The Japanese have been into Harleys for a long time. They buy and import a pretty big percentage of vintage harleys.

1 Like

Probably why they are trying to emulate them with their V-version’s…?
Went to town to get gas for mowing today… Stopped at our local Honda sports shop… “looking for adjustable brake cable gizmo’s on the perch”… Honda didn’t use them on that particular bike… And I coulda looked in my shop manual too… :confused: Knuckle head… I’ll have an extra brew to clear my confused mind… :grin:
Sneezles61

knuckle head? You got one of those in yer shed dude?!

Yea the japanese cruisers were certainly built to appeal to the harley rider who wants less maintenance and a lower price point but a lot of them came out when the EVO was the standard harley v twin and a lot of people believe it was the best motor harley ever built in terms of reliability and low maintenance. Besides the Japanese v twins sound funny.

I personally think the twin cam is really solid if you take care of the cam chain tensioner issue before it becomes a problem. The 04 and later ones have a decent crank too so they’re a solid base for performance upgrades. Or so I’ve heard…wink wink nod nod…

No… no knuckle head… yet… :worried:
I’ll just tinker with these small ones for a while… I’ll always keep my eye open… some where… theres an old relic needing to be brought out of hiding… then to get it running…
There are peeps I know that have the imports… I just don’t hear the thunder… I won’t say they aren’t good… after all… didn’t the imports PUSH HD to tighten up its machining practice?
Sneezles61

If you are buying an Ebike check out https://www.upzy.com/ Our bikes are Nakto brand if I haven’t mentioned it before. They were less for 2 than many of the other just one we checked out online. The motors are on the lower end for power but for our needs plenty. Keep in mind we don’t have to go up many hills. The motors and entire bike for the most part are Chinese of course. The motors are made by Bangfor that makes a lot of Ebike motors. I don’t know if that is a take off on “more bang for your buck”

Maybe you can save enough on the bike to still get the Gibson :smile:

1 Like

uh ooh… well, after running it for a bit… Its been a wee bit noise-y… Took off a few covers… Looks like I get to tear the top end apart so I can replace the cam tensioner… Its not really going too be tough… And getting the title squared away at the DMV will take some time… I know… note to ones self “settle down… it’ll all be worth it”… Must be about beer-thirty!
Sneezles61

We went yesterday to get new batteries or our Harleys. Mine was shot, hers tested weak. Place called Battery World that sells every battery imaginable. They had neither one. Our batteries are the same except hers has +&- reversed from mine. There must be some kind of shortage. The guy said he just got his order of snowmobile batteries from last August.

He was nice enough to look up a parts place in town that had both. When we got there they had one but not the other :rage: Another one of their stores only 3 miles away did have the other one we needed. About $100 each for AGM. Used to be old fashion lead acid batteries for toys like that were about $30. The AGMs can’t be spilled and do seem to last longer though.

1 Like

Batteries… There isn’t much space on some of these bikes to stuff a battery… The grounding side comes with a loop connector… I cut and put the bullet connectors… easier to remove and bring inside for storage… and to add some acid through out the use…
Well the idler wheels look good… I ordered a chain and top end gasket kit… The top of the piston and head was really black… I think the valves were not allowed to close real tight, so there was exhaust seepage… Some more cleaning to do…
Sneezles61

Her bike has a side battery box that is a PIA to get the battery in and out. Mine is under seat, one screw, and a rubber bungee thing.

It would be tough for me after all that work to part with the little 90. Cool toy.

1 Like

I’m a bit too tall for it… It has been a load of fun finding details fixing stuff on it… I’m amazed of the engineering that went into it…
I’ve a Yamaha 360 that fits quite a bit better that I pushed into the garage… Electrical is a bunch of spaghetti… I’ll get that sorted out this summer so I can legally drive it on the road… I did get the decompression valve to work… (leg saver right there)… A couple of kicks… and it roared right back to life!! Oh the smell of two-stroke oil being burnt…
I don’t any boring time around here for quite a while!! :grin:
Sneezles61