Gas cylinders

Are you using them funny fibrous washers at the tank?
Another test, crank up the low pressure side… If it starts to whistle,there yer bad rabbit!
Sneezles61

Nope. Haven’t used one of those washers in a long time. Sprayed it down with H2O/dish soap too.

When I get the new tank I will crank up the pressure without the keg, with the keg and the valve after the reg shut off and douse it again. I tried to shut off the gas at the tank whenever it was not in use but one night the beers controlled my decisions and I forgot. That’s all it took.

2 Likes

And sumptin’ that has become a “standard practice”… I’ll always seat the lid with 40 PSI’s now… The O-ring gets a very light lube too… I’ve not had leaks for quite a while now…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Could it be the inline manifold block that leaks. If you do use one. Have been reading if you use brass manifold. They got the tendency to become porus. Small pinholes in the brass

This is just a single connection. New tank is coming today so we will see.

1 Like

Found my leak. Hooked up the tank I just got delivered, turned it up to 12lbs before cranking it up and went to work with a spray bottle of Dawn and water.

Where the nipple that connects the regulator to the tank is screwed into the regulator it almost immediately started to bubble. Hard to believe it leaked there since it was difficult to unscrew.

I wrapped some Teflon tape on the threads and put it back together. Really had to crank it down to get it to stop leaking again.

A question for you guys. I don’t have a practical way to refrigerate the keg and use my jockey box cooler to serve. Now i have 5 gallons of flat beer that needs some fizz. Has anyone had luck cranking up the gas and shaking warm beer to carbonate? I know cold beer will absorb CO2 better

Well, the “serving vessel” is plaguing me currently… I cant keep my apple joose very cool, so the pressure went up, and it does have a few more bubbles… See if that helps…
Sneezles61

My buddy borrowed my carbonating cylinder so I am currently trying to carbonated a saison in the warm part of the brewhouse. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Mine (also a Saison) is out on the lanai (screened in porch to us northerners) where it’s 74° Thinking I will swap the gas QD for a liquid and shoot the gas down the dip tube while shaking it.

I’m running out of time since we plan to head back north in about 10 days. Looks like two kegs will spend the summer in a shower stall.

Through some sugar in the keg and bottle condition

1 Like

Put the Saison into the keezer today and it was pretty well carbonated after being on 46 PSI for almost 24 hours. I’m sure it will get better with age and getting chilled.

1 Like

I thought about using sugar but that is how it was carbonated before the CO2 leak. I wondered if there was enough viable yeast to carbonate it again.

I did crank up the pressure with a liquid QD to push the gas down and shook it up. got minimal bubbles. Next I connected it normally with the pressure cranked up and ignored it. Now I’m getting some fizz.

I have to wonder how much CO2 was wasted due to a leak that must have been from the factory.

1 Like

Uh oh… now there’s a shortage of CO2 coming down the pike…
Get yer tanks filled… I will have to Go back to cask conditioning ales…
Sneezles61

Maybe by you but the shortage around here for awhile. Not quite sure how there can be a shortage though. I think it more of a gouging problem.

I just spoke with our vendor last week about the shortage. They weren’t concerned at all in regards to shortage as their supply actually comes from fermentation. They were concerned about shortages because their customer base has grown exponentially due to some suppliers using another method of collection. I can’t remember how much but the amount of product they are moving was wild!

One article is calling a contamination… well, just in case, I’ll get my second 20 pounder filled…
Sneezles61