Five questions from a beginner

[quote=“Silentknyght”][quote=“Nohone”]
The powdered sanitizer I used was “LD Carlson Easy Clean”
[/quote]

Just to be clear, that is not a sanitizer; it’s basically OxyClean.

You’re not alone, though; it seems like this is a very common mistake, and I wish all LHBS would be clearer on this distinction. You did pick up Starsan, though, which is good stuff.[/quote]
Easy Clean does sanitize but it’s not listed as a sanitizer. Like bleach, that is also not listed as a sanitizer, you will need to soak for a few minutes to get your equipment sanitized.

Yeah the instructions that came with the beer kit ingredients said it was a sanitizer. That’s annoying.

Now I kind of wish I waited a little bit longer “sanitizing” the carboy before I rinsed it out with water.

Oh well, lol, I guess we’ll see how it turns out. It’s been 11 days in fermentation and I don’t smell or see anything funky from a possible bacterial infection. I think it’ll be alright.

I’ve come to learn that good beer is surprisingly easy to make. It’s the outstanding beer that takes some experience.

[quote=“Nohone”]Yeah the instructions that came with the beer kit ingredients said it was a sanitizer. That’s annoying.

Now I kind of wish I waited a little bit longer “sanitizing” the carboy before I rinsed it out with water.

Oh well, lol, I guess we’ll see how it turns out. It’s been 11 days in fermentation and I don’t smell or see anything funky from a possible bacterial infection. I think it’ll be alright.

I’ve come to learn that good beer is surprisingly easy to make. It’s the outstanding beer that takes some experience.[/quote]
You’re exactly right.

As for the “rinse” I wouldn’t worry about it. Do you boil your top off water? Neither do I. It’s drinking water. You are adding billions of sugar-eating organisms that have been around since before the dawn of man. They will outcompete pretty much any other organism that gets passed the EasyClean soak, the rinse, and the few minutes of contact with the air.

I’m not trying to downplay the need for sanitation because it’s an easily controllable aspect of our brewing process that prevents bad things from happening. But chew on this…before yeast was ever discovered to be the magic ingredient, brewers would sit their sugary wort outdoors and HOPE that something started the fermentation process. Needless to say, we got it EASY!

Yeah man that’s totally true. Well said. I’ve always wondered what kind of tasting beer our ancestors drank.

[quote=“Nohone”]Sounds good, I’m probably just going to get rubber gloves and sanitize them instead of just using my hands.

I actually have another question regarding sanitizing.

So when I sanitized my 6.5 gallon carboy, even though the powdered sanitizer that I received from the extract kit said its “no rinsing” , I did it anyway because I still saw the white powdery stuff stuck to the sides of the carboy. However, I rinsed it with hose water.

Unfortunately I forgot that hose water is generally bacteria ridden. So did I just make a bad mistake?

What are your opinions on this?[/quote]

I was at the LHBS today with the very same question. I use the garden hose only to rinse out the grain from the pot after the mash. I do have a small piece of hose I use to rinse everything or to fill a bucket or carboy. I actually sanitize the small hose, kind of hard to sanitize the 50 footer! LOL. But they told me not to worry about using the hose.

[quote=“Bier brauer”][quote=“Nohone”]Sounds good, I’m probably just going to get rubber gloves and sanitize them instead of just using my hands.

I actually have another question regarding sanitizing.

So when I sanitized my 6.5 gallon carboy, even though the powdered sanitizer that I received from the extract kit said its “no rinsing” , I did it anyway because I still saw the white powdery stuff stuck to the sides of the carboy. However, I rinsed it with hose water.

Unfortunately I forgot that hose water is generally bacteria ridden. So did I just make a bad mistake?

What are your opinions on this?[/quote]

I was at the LHBS today with the very same question. I use the garden hose only to rinse out the grain from the pot after the mash. I do have a small piece of hose I use to rinse everything or to fill a bucket or carboy. I actually sanitize the small hose, kind of hard to sanitize the 50 footer! LOL. But they told me not to worry about using the hose.[/quote]

That’s good to know. Using the hose water is probably pretty negligible then.

I like your quote by the way. It got me thinking about beer affects on health, and now I’m more motivated to drink DIPAs lol. Funny how that goes…

Just to be on the safe side, are you using municipal water to rinse? TLBS said that municipal water is ok to rinse with, well water on the other hand may be questionable. I don’t know. They didn’t discuss that fact. I brewed today, and the only thing I rinsed was the carboy after using star-San to get the foam out. Everything else that was used was in a bucket of star-San, and not rinsed when used.

:cheers:

Don’t fear the foam! 1) after the foam disapates, it’s less than a tablespoon of diluted starsan. 2) the yeast will use it like a vitamin boost.

We have drank out of “garden” hoses for years. But I wouldn’t use it in brewing because of the flavors that may come out of it. Spend a little money for the hoses sold for RV water supply.