Fermentation Swamp Cooler Temperature Variance

Now you got me thinking as well. Me brewing tomorow. During the week will check my ice water.

1 Like

Everyone has a different definition of “last week of fermentation”. First week, temperature control is a must, second week it’s important, third week it’s nice to do and fourth week may not matter if your beer is close to completion.

2 Likes

lets say you have a starting gravity 1.050… From there down to say 1.015… temp control is your friend… and the brews friend… after that, I let mine go up to my downstairs ambient temp… which right now is about 68*F…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Controlling the temperature for the first 3-4 days is plenty. You can let it rise after that.

5-6 days if it’s a lager yeast.

3 Likes

The target SG is 1.052, so I know it won’t be a high ABV. I should be able to control it pretty well for the first two weeks, but will be OOO for the third. Ive never used liquid yeast before, just safeale 05. I planned on bottling upon return if the FG is there. I’m hoping i can carry it down my basement steps with minimal sloshing, but I’m clumsy af. Thanks for all the advice guys!! I would relax and have a homebrew, but I’m fresh out!!!:cry: I’m sure I will have some questions about lagering altbier in the bottle that I’ve also read about, but that will be for another day. Or prob later today.

IF its not fermented before carrying downstairs… the yeast WILL consume the O2… so no problems… If you slosh it around AFTER its fermented… it’ll make a great brew, poor in flavor…
Lagering… I’d let it silt and re-ferment in the bottle (carbonate) then when appropriate… Put as many as you can in the fridge and forget about them for at least a month… A simple approach…
Sneezles61

Sweet! Thanks, I may just end up leaving it in a cool/dark spot upstairs if I can find one. I sure don’t want to oxidize. I also read in a topic on lagering in bottle that I may need to add 1-2 grams dry yeast that’s been rehydrated along with the priming sugar when transferring to bottling bucket to ensure proper carbonation. Also, would you transfer to secondary for this style? I’m starting to think it would be a good idea for this particular style. I’m also worried about oxidation, but I am super sanitary when I brew/bottle.

1007 is german ale yeast. Don’t get me wrong, cold conditioning is good for any ale and certainly helps clear and mellow that one but you can drink those young and they’ll be really good. I used 1007 many times in the past and make some excellent mocktoberfests and vieanna ales. The vienna was excellent after 3 weeks in the fermenter and two carbonating. A few people couldn’t really tell the difference between my marzen or the 1007 version conditioned for a few weeks.

Awesome! Thanks, I’m wondering how patient I can actually be. The lagering would put it at 9 weeks until “ready”, but I’m sure i would test it several times. Probably many times. I plan on taking 12 bombers on the road with me when I visit friends and family. Was actually kind of worried about keeping it upright and consistently cold for a two week road trip. Now I have to look up Vienna ale, that sounds up my alley. Thanks!

Well now you’ve done it…The infamous and much discussed MattNaik’s Vienna Lager. Just sub in your 1007 for the 2206

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Vienna Lager
Brewer: Danny
Asst Brewer: Mattnaik
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications

Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.94 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
5 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 1 54.8 % 0.39 gal
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 27.4 % 0.20 gal
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Dark (15.0 SRM) Grain 3 16.4 % 0.12 gal
2.0 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) (470.0 SRM) Grain 4 1.4 % 0.01 gal
1.75 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.3 IBUs -
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 6 - -
0.80 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 3.9 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [124.21 ml] Yeast 8 - -

2 Likes

Haha cool thanks man!! Now I think this will have to be my first all grain recipe that I brew! Gonna dive deep on all these ingredients…

If you need the extract version I converted it through BeerSmith for a buddy recently. He brewed it and said it was good but I never tried it.
Boil Size: 6.94 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.94 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 10.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 80.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 0.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume
13.4 oz Amber Liquid Extract [Steep] (12.5 SRM) Extract 1 11.0 % 0.07 gal
1.4 oz Carafa Special III (Weyermann) [Steep] (470.0 SR Grain 2 1.1 % 0.01 gal
6 lbs 10.7 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil] (8.0 SRM) Extract 3 87.9 % 0.57 gal
1.77 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 17.3 IBUs -
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 5 - -
0.81 oz German Hallertau [2.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.9 IBUs -
1.0 pkg Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) [124.21 ml] Yeast 7 - -

1 Like

Cool thanks so much!! Too generous!! Can’t wait to try this!

1 Like

You’re quite welcome. I’ve changed up the hops a few times on it. Kept them mostly to noble hops. My preference is the spicier nobles like hallertau or saaz in a vienna.

1 Like

I think I will follow suit. I lived in a little Germantown in Texas for several years and developed a real appreciation for those beers