Erlenmeyer flask heating

You have a good amount of yeast at the bottom of the flask. Looks like yeast in suspension yet. I would keep it refrigerated until you start chilling the wort. More yeast will drop out before you decant. After decanting lightly swirl the flask to begin warming the yeast to pitching temperature. Have the temperature of the wort and the temperature of the yeast within 5° to 10°F of each other to prevent shocking the yeast.

My preference is to have the wort at least 5°F below the fermentation temperature.

I wasn’t sure my yeast harvesting skills were up to par. I made a small white layer of yeast and a decent amount of trub in my 2 jars. I rinsed them again to reduce the trub. Leaving as much behind when I added it to the starter. Harvested 2/9 made the starter 2/12.

I planned on dumping the whole thing. I made it with the same pilsen light extract in recipe except recipe is LME. Although it might warm up faster with less liquid on top.

i have a weird feeling about using the flask on a gas stove i use a pan and make a starter that way and transfer it into the flask later dont ask me why i have a weird feeling about it

Truth be told I don’t boil in my flask anymore either. I’ve adopted a new method of making a starter. It goes like this:

1. add 100g of DME to 1000mL of water and a pinch of nutrient
  2. boil/cool in a pot
  3. add it to a 5L media bottle (but gallon jug would work)
  4. shake the living crap out of it (until it’s almost all foam)
  5. add the yeast about 12 hours before needing to pitch
  6. add the entire starter at high krausen
    You have a little leeway with making the starter. No need to shake or stir.
1 Like

It is not worth boiling in the flask. Way to easy to boil over, the shape of the flask is impractical for this purpose. Just use a sauce pan and sanitize the flask way way easier.

just get fast pitch from NB no muss no fuss just add to flask with water and your good to go.

dont know got a strange feeling of heating up my erlenmeyer flask dont know why i like to use a sauce pan