English beer recommendations

[quote=“PPDude72”]I was just over there last month in the Nottingham area. Some of my favorites were:

Timothy Taylor Landlord
Everything I tried by Theakston
Bombardier
Spitfire
Wychwood’s beers like Hobgoblin and King Goblin
Green King IPA
Abbot was good on draught
Tribute by St. Austell
Black Sheep’s beers

A lot of places just have local beers you can’t find all over the country. Try those!

Have a great time.

:cheers: [/quote]

Theakston has proved to be a solid brewery. also hobgoblin is very tasty :cheers:

My advice is to only visit pubs that have real ale, as signified by the hand pumps. The most flavorful beers are served cask conditioned, IME. Ask the publican what beers are local, too. Greene King is everywhere, as they’re one of the bigger English breweries and pub owners. Look for pubs that say Free House for the widest selection. Many pubs are Tied Houses, meaning that they sell only beer from a certain brewery, with maybe one or two guest taps.

Thats the best advice
There are plenty of pubs, usually 1 on every corner, most will have the local real ale on tap and sometimes a guest beer
Talk to the landlord, tell him/her what you are looking for
Enjoy
Cheers
Paul :wink:

A friend of mine was there several years ago and loved Pedigree bitter from Marston’s. Another friend loves Timothy Taylor’s Landord Bitter. I would pick up some Young’s Special London Ale since we cannot get it in the US anymore. It is now brewed at Well’s, and I think it is still available in the U.K. Fuller’s bitter and London Pride are well respected beers. Up north, I think Caledonian IPA is a good brew. It is a low gravity IPA though. Most of the English beers we get in Texas are already oxidized and not worth buying. That is why I home brew. I would love to hear what you think is good. I have not been to England in many years so these are suggestions based on what I have read and from a few friend who have traveled there.