Craft Beer and Alcoholism

Life’s short. Do what makes you happy. Drink what you want, when you want. Cheers !!

This hits on something that’s been bothering a lot me lately. It really bothers me when I watch someone get drunk on my beer. I put a lot of time and effort into my beer, and my recipes aren’t cheap. Don’t just keep slamming it because you can.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

And you’ll make your life even shorter. I am proof of that.

[quote=“Beersk”]I knew I wouldn’t be the only one who was offended by this article and thought it was bogus. There’s some good points made in this thread.
I guess it’s not that bogus, but the idea that because I drink everyday (and not really all that much, 2 or 3 beers average) that that makes me an alcoholic. I just despise this mentality. And making a conscious effort not to drink suggests you may have a problem. Depends on what you’re doing it for. Sometimes I take a day off just to refresh my palate, not because I think I’ve drank too much in the last couple days. If I have, then I only drink small samples or something.
I mean, really, this doesn’t have to be all that complicated. If you’re not doing stupid sht, being late to work because you’re hung over, getting pulled over, getting into fights, etc. then you probably don’t have a problem, ie. it’s not all bad. Life’s too short. Tune out the bullsht.[/quote]

what? so only problems arise if “stupid shit” is done like being pulled over, late for work or fighting?

[quote=“Beersk”]I knew I wouldn’t be the only one who was offended by this article and thought it was bogus. There’s some good points made in this thread.
I guess it’s not that bogus, but the idea that because I drink everyday (and not really all that much, 2 or 3 beers average) that that makes me an alcoholic. I just despise this mentality. And making a conscious effort not to drink suggests you may have a problem. Depends on what you’re doing it for. Sometimes I take a day off just to refresh my palate, not because I think I’ve drank too much in the last couple days. If I have, then I only drink small samples or something.
I mean, really, this doesn’t have to be all that complicated. If you’re not doing stupid sht, being late to work because you’re hung over, getting pulled over, getting into fights, etc. then you probably don’t have a problem, ie. it’s not all bad. Life’s too short. Tune out the bullsht.[/quote]

3 beers of what thats the difference… oh I only had 3 beers…oh wait I forgot to mention they were 3 hopslams @ 11% or 3 24oz mugs of xxx craft beer at 6 or 7% at a local bar.

no idea why most craft breweries rarely brew stuff under 5%

Alright, well, for me that’s beers in the 4 to 6% range. I couldn’t drink 3 hopslams if I wanted to, I just don’t think it’s that good. Three Pliny’s, definitely.

I just think there’s too much of “Do this, don’t do that” BS going around and someone telling me I’m an alcoholic because I have 2 or 3 beers everyday offends me. And it’s none of their business.

Denny, I agree that anything in excess is bad for you and will shorten your life. But, a lot of people don’t take care of themselves. Eat like crap, don’t exercise, drink and eat too much.

I’m tired of the alarmist attitude. Get regular exercise, eat decently, keep your weight in check, and you can enjoy a couple beers everyday and more on some other days. Getting regular physicals is a good thing too. You can see how you’re doing diet-wise. It’s not really worth all this banter about, “Ohh, but you drink till you get a buzz every day? You’re going to die!” Sure, your liver might not like it, but getting f*cked up on a regular basis (not what I meant by buzzed) will never be good for anyone, no matter how well you treat yourself.
I told myself I’d just ignore this thread anyway, because I thought it was going to be a bunch of, “This is a great article! I only drink 2 beers on Fridays and Saturdays! Hooray me!” But it’s turned out to be a good discussion of people living in reality with realistic opinions.

Most people would be surprised what the “official” description of “bordeline alchohol issues” is - I believe it’s something like “more than 5 alchoholic beverages a week”, Which I think is absurd.

But yeah, moderation. Every reasonable adult knows this. And the rest, well if it’s not beer it would be something else.

I’m on the “good article” boat.

I’m in a homebrew club and have seen people who shoulda read this a long time ago. And on top of that, it’s a nice article to remind us what we could turn into. I don’t perceive a judgemental or pointing-the-finger-at-me tone.

Basically, the article is warning against adopting the notion of: “It is craft brew (or homebrew) so it is ok because I am drinking it for the taste/culture, not the alcohol. No alcoholics were ever caused by craftbrew.” I have seen at least a few of my friends become/become worse alcoholics by drinking solely craft/homebrew, as I imagine most readers here have.

Thanks!

I don’t know…I guess I just look at alcoholism a little differently than some people commenting on this forum. Do some people here actually believe that a true alcoholic would really have the patience and artistic vision to make their own beer, instead of just buying it? Apparently so. I don’t really get that. I can’t imagine how someone who’s truly an alcoholic can actually sit down and plan out a recipe, spend hours of time brewing a beer, and wait for a month for it be ready to drink…oh, yeah, and spend the money for all the ingredients and equipment that could be spent directly on booze, if they really are that desperate for a drink. I just cannot make any sense out of that idea whatsoever. I don’t want to start some angry debate, but I’m just truly dumbfounded by this particular topic.

I think so, man. There are different kinds of alcoholics. Why wouldn’t an alcoholic brew his own? You can make it with cheap equipment and it’s cheaper than buying it in the long run. I just don’t know what’s so hard to get. It’s super easy to become an alcoholic when homebrewing. You always have great tasting beer on hand.
I’m on my third beer tonight. That’s taking it easy for me on a Friday. Do I care what others think about that? No. Do I think it suggests I’m an alcoholic and have a problem? No. And yes, I’m drinking alone. Well, my girlfriend is here, not drinking, but it’s not a social gathering. I barely have a buzz because I want to get up early tomorrow and brew. I drink responsibly.
Like I said before, you have to tune out the bullsh*t and make your own conclusions.

Agree with Beersk, there are all kinds of alcoholics. I don’t like getting drunk; anything more than a mild buzz I find unpleasant. Does that mean I’m not an alcoholic? Not necessarily. If I feel I need to have a beer when I get home from work (or that I really, really want a beer - what’s the difference there?), then maybe I’m an alcoholic even if I don’t get shit faced.

And addicts will go to great lengths not just to feed their addictions, but sometimes also to hide their addictions - from themselves. I could easily see someone spending a fortune on craft brew to convince themselves that they are not alcoholics, because they only drink the “good stuff”.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“JMcK”]Very interesting.

Not that I want to be the first one to get defensive but, is alcoholism in the beer industry more or less problematic than morbid obesity in the gourmet food industry? Sure it’s there; but not EVERY chef is 400 pounds and popping Lipotor by the handful.

Yes people drink too much at beer festivals. People eat too much at Thanksgiving too. Should we discourage thanksgiving gatherings? Should we do better to encourage people to behave themselves at Thanksgiving? I can completely understand why those inside the booths would hate beer festivals, but for the majority of the attendees it’s a once a year event. Maybe it’s less of an issues for “Food festivals” because binge eating is less disturbing to witness than binge drinking, but one day of binge drinking does not make one an alcoholic any more than a day of binge eating makes one a glutton.

And frankly, an insider in ANY industry is going to have stories about the dark underbelly of that industry.

As for my personal drinking, as my appreciation for beer has grown, my appreciation for hard liquor has dropped. I definitely consume less alcohol than I used to. Now if only I could drop 50 pounds, because I do have a bit of a gluttony problem. >sigh<[/quote]
Pretty much my sentiments as well. It’s an alarmist article and it annoys me. There are problems in every industry.

I think the main thing is drinking responsibly. I do most of my drinking at home. I drink 2-3 beers a day during the week, and a few more on weekends. So what? I’m at home, I’m safe, I’m healthy, I ride a bike everywhere, my blood pressure is perfect. Articles like these offend me and I take them personally. Like I’m some kind of alcoholic because I drink beer every day and like to get an occasional buzz? Yeah, whatever.
What about all the people that can’t get their day started before a cup of coffee or 4? And the people that get headaches if they don’t have coffee every day.
Oh and all the fat a$$es in the world that eat fast food and don’t get off their butts and get some exercise. Yeah, I’m not worried about a few beers.
Treat your body well, eat decently and exercise, and 2 or 3 beers a day isn’t going to hurt you.

I have had an experience where a bartender at a brewpub was falling down drunk. And it was uncomfortable for me. THAT is a problem. That’s a problem of not drinking responsibly. I really really hope he didn’t drive home that day.[/quote]

+1. Well said.

Go back to that article and replace the word “beer” with “wine” and many of the author’s sentiments still ring true. But for some reason, wine is different; sophisticated; above the law.

You guys seem to think that an alcoholic would be brewing beer to support their alcoholism. I’ve seldom seen that happen. It’s more that brewers don’t even think about how much they’re drinking and are unaware of their potential issues.

Denny, between this and your last comment about living proof, it seems you might have some insight to share. Your thoughts are always well put. Do you feel like sharing more?

That’s my problem. I tend to “graze” on beer all day Sat or Sun and by the time I’m getting ready for bed there are 6-8 empties sitting on the counter, even though most of the time they are spaced apart enough that I don’t even get a buzz. :oops:

That’s my problem. I tend to “graze” on beer all day Sat or Sun and by the time I’m getting ready for bed there are 6-8 empties sitting on the counter, even though most of the time they are spaced apart enough that I don’t even get a buzz. :oops: [/quote]

I used to do the same thing. I would drink between 6-12 or more beers on a Saturday over an 10-12 hour period. I cut back because I was getting fat. Since I started brewing I actually drink even less …go figure.

So … would this be an appropriate time or an inappropriate time to say Relax Don’t Worry Have Another Homebrew? Just sayin. Hey, I just started this hobby and I’m not going to let this article crush my mellow.

If you think that’s the intention, then I think you’re missing the point. The point is to be aware of your consumption level and its effects and deal with it appropriately.

Denny, between this and your last comment about living proof, it seems you might have some insight to share. Your thoughts are always well put. Do you feel like sharing more?[/quote]

I’d be happy to in a day or 2 when I have more time.

Good for you. Don’t ever let that happen. If you’re happy creating something cool and enjoy the fruits of your labor, don’t worry for one second what other people are doing with their hobby. It’s not your problem. That’s one of the many things that are wrong with this world today in my opinion: everybody wants to watch and pass judgment on what everybody else is doing because everybody has become incredibly politicized in their thinking. It’s like you can’t do anything just for pleasure any more without somebody questioning the social value of your activity. So somebody brews their own beer, and might occasionally get a little drunk on it? So what? Even in what should be a pretty harmless hobby, there is the possibility of doing something self-destructive with it, but there’s absolutely no reason for you to dwell on that. By the way, I’ve had a few drinks tonight before I sat down to write this. Can you tell? I didn’t think so. Enough said.