Bottling Via Bucket Fermenter

I’ve never carbed in an area more than 70 degrees. All fine after 3 - 4 weeks

Hey guys,

Just took a hydrometer meter reading and am sitting at 1.012 after 5.5 days of primary. The kit instruction’s (which I know can be BS) target FG is 1.011 - 1.015. Do you think I can rack to a secondary now and let that sit for about 2 weeks?

Just let me know what you guys are thinking.

Cheers!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114509&p=1002507#p1002507

If you are going to put into secondary for conditioning, keep in primary for at least 2 weeks, regardless of gravity reading.

I used to stash the whole lot in the cupboard above the microwave, which is also above the stove. With the halogen lights under the microwave and daily stove use keeping them ~75*, could drink carbed beer in 5 days. Now I just throw 1/2 dozen up there, the rest of the batch will be carbed by the time those 6 are drank anyways. Anything 9% + the whole batch can get kept up there for a week or two or until carbonated.

+1 If I am using a bottling bucket, the spigot gets taken apart everytime.

Another rookie question. When bottling, do I bottle everything then cap or cap a bottle immediately after filling a bottle? Will the beer be affected if it just sits in an open bottle for a few minutes?

Cheers!

[quote=“UM2UVA”]Another rookie question. When bottling, do I bottle everything then cap or cap a bottle immediately after filling a bottle? Will the beer be affected if it just sits in an open bottle for a few minutes?

Cheers![/quote]

I’m only about five batches in, but I fill about twelve bottles in a batch, then set caps on top of the bottles (without crimping), fill twelve more bottles, set caps on top of them, repeat, repeat, until all the bottles are filled. Then, I crimp them all. The last time I bottled, filling took about fifteen minutes. Although my main reason for trying to fill quickly is that my bottle filler dribbles a bit, and I don’t want to waste too many drops of beer. Plus, if I set down the bottle filler somewhere, I run another risk of contamination. Seems more likely I’ll pick up a bug setting a bottle filler sticky with beer down somewhere than by having a bottle with a cap sitting on top of it for a little bit before crimping.