Bottle Labels

I tried doing the different cap routine and doing the color-coded mark routine. It worked at first, but the more brews I got (and the fact that a lot of stuff got aged and some stuff got carted off to friend’s houses and stuck in their beer fridge), it started to get old trying to decipher what’s in what bottle. Plus I’ve started buying bulk “overrun” crowns from the local homebrew supply store which are a marked cap. Best solution I came up with was the 1" Avery dots. Print off what I need on them and stick to the crown. Pry it off and away it goes. Now when I’m over a friend’s house and they go to the fridge and say “hey, you want to split one of your homebrews?” they can also tell me what ones they still have. For the little extra effort, I think it’s worth it.

That and all my friends seem to think I’m a genius for printing off labels for the caps… it’s really not as much work as they seem to think it is.

I also started out numbering the brews and using a log but now I use a sharpie to mark the caps with abbreviations. IPA, BS"big stout", IR"Irish red"…etc. The Avery 3/4" dots sounds like the next step.