Big Mouth Bubbler seal

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“uberculture”]
Yeah, mine seals fine, as well. And cleans easily.

Although, I will say the guy at NB in the store tried to talk me into the glass, saying PBW might etch the plastic. I wasn’t sure how much I bought that story, but I don’t really soak much anyway, especially when it wipes out so cleanly.[/quote]

Is there really any need to use PBW if you are just wiping it clean? a rag and some soapy water should be all you really need I would think.[/quote]

Nope, certainly not necessary. Dish soap and a soft sponge work fine. I’ve used PWB if I have some mixed up at the time from cleaning bottles or cleaning out a glass secondary, but I’ve been fine with soapy water.

[quote=“sundog”]Thanks again for the replies.
I totally agree with hekkubus and JMck. You should NOT have to retrofit this product to make it work. I am either too stubborn or too lazy (or both) to send it back and have accepted the challenge to make it seal. My next try will be to coat the cap rim with bees wax (I’m a beekeeper) and hope that this will make a good seal and not need to be re-coated each use.
The statement that a 5 gallon fermenter won’t seal because you’re fermenting 3 gallons is not only ludicrous, but insulting. Attempting to get a seal on a narrow hard-plastic-to-hard-plastic surface is just very poor design. It makes we wonder if they even field tested before releasing…[/quote]

I dunno…the plastic Big Mouth is almost 50% cheaper than the glass, as well as lighter, less breakable, and includes volume markings. The port also accepts a standard carboy stopper, which the glass one doesn’t. Those features have made the plastic bubbler easily my favorite fermenter (I also have two of the glass ones and used to have a glass carboy before it shattered).

Having to buy a $4 tube of keg lube really doesn’t bother me. Maybe our host could make a note of the need to use it, but to me it in no way invalidates the design.

When i did use my big Mouth. Got issues as well. So i use ducktape. That gray stuff. Around the lid. No issue leaking. Thats the reason i went to. Speidel fermentors