Best IPA yeast

Couldn’t agree more. This yeast compliments IPA’s better then most. It’s not neutral, but I love it’s fruitiness, very similar to papaya. It does help to use pair this yeast with some non fruity hops like Simcoe and Columbus. My last batch was all Mosaic and Citra… and it’s a tropical fruit bomb.

I like US-05. 1098/007 is my second choice. If you want to get weird, try Brett Trois.

[quote=“Waylit”][quote=“Pietro”]
After falling in love with Vermont IPA’s, I am a firm believer in the notion that the right esters are actually more important than massive hopping levels in IPAs. OP, check out Conan aka “Vermont Ale” available at the Yeast Bay.
[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. This yeast compliments IPA’s better then most. It’s not neutral, but I love it’s fruitiness, very similar to papaya. It does help to use pair this yeast with some non fruity hops like Simcoe and Columbus. My last batch was all Mosaic and Citra… and it’s a tropical fruit bomb.[/quote]

We are on the same page here as well. I would go a step further and say you need Columbus and/or Chinook. My last freezer-cleaner IPA has loads of Apollo, Centennial, Simcoe with Conan and it is extremely fruity with minimal dank/allium to compliment. Nice bitterness, but no earthy/danky hop flavor/aroma, which it needs. Still a killer IPA, but I will include one/both of these in the hop cocktail for my next one.

[quote=“Waylit”][quote=“Pietro”]
After falling in love with Vermont IPA’s, I am a firm believer in the notion that the right esters are actually more important than massive hopping levels in IPAs. OP, check out Conan aka “Vermont Ale” available at the Yeast Bay.
[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. This yeast compliments IPA’s better then most. It’s not neutral, but I love it’s fruitiness, very similar to papaya. It does help to use pair this yeast with some non fruity hops like Simcoe and Columbus. My last batch was all Mosaic and Citra… and it’s a tropical fruit bomb.[/quote]

A while back I made a split batch of my house IPA. I did 5 gallons with US-05 and 5 gallons with Conan. The US-05 was good, the Conan batch was great. The difference was truly significant. The Conan had really enhanced fruit flavors while the US-05 batch had an unpleasant harshness.

1099 for a nice smooth IPA. I keep it fairly dry with no more than about 3.5% C40 or 5% C10 depending on what I am brewing. Not for those looking to be smacked in the mouth with hop bitterness but awesome if you like your IPAs smoothed out a little.

I am trying an IPA this weekend with Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois (White Labs #WLP644). I have experienced very fruity flavors from this yeast and I am going to pair it with some fruit/citrus hops to see what happens. Should be interesting.

Probably not the best IPA yeast :lol: but I think it will be great.

[quote=“candleman”]I am trying an IPA this weekend with Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois (White Labs #WLP644). I have experienced very fruity flavors from this yeast and I am going to pair it with some fruit/citrus hops to see what happens. Should be interesting.

Probably not the best IPA yeast :lol: but I think it will be great.[/quote]

I had a Rye IPA made with that yeast that made me think “why didn’t I think of this?”.

Brett Trois is awesome, though I’ve heard its actually not even a Brett yeast, its supposedly saccaromyces.

The one beer I made with it was a 50/50 wheat/pils saison, hopped to about 25 IBU with Galaxy hopburst. Frigging yum.

Its extremely attenuative (I think I got upwards of 90%), though I did a lager-sized pitch, which is recommended for brett (I hadn’t heard at the time that trois was not actually Brett).

Great thread and timely for me!

I had kind of fallen into the US05 rut since it is so consistent and easy (certainly not a bad thing!); but have been thinking I need to try other yeast options to mix it up a little.

Though, I still keep packs of US05 yeast in the fridge at all time. You just can’t beat waking up on a rainy Saturday and deciding to brew on the spur of the moment and not worry about a starter.

+1 to Pietro’s comment… Trois is pretty awesome in an IPA. WL brett vials have a ridiculously low cell count, so even though it’s a sacch yeast, make a large starter. One of these days they might reclassify it as sacch and bump up the cell count in those things.

For an all-brett IPA, brett-c is pretty awesome too!

I am using a slurry from a 100% Brett Belgian pale I just did, so I am not worried about having enough to pitch.

4 hops (3 U.S. , 1 Aussie) are in the schedule with 12 OZ total hops for 10 gallons.

As for it not being Brett, I do not believe that for a second. I made my pale ale, fermented it at 64 for a week, then pushed it up to 83 degrees. It became a fruit bomb and made a vary nice pale with no off flavors at all. If it is not Brett explain that one.

:cheers:

[quote=“candleman”]As for it not being Brett, I do not believe that for a second. I made my pale ale, fermented it at 64 for a week, then pushed it up to 83 degrees. It became a fruit bomb and made a vary nice pale with no off flavors at all. If it is not Brett explain that one.

:cheers: [/quote]

Sasion yeast ferment that high with out off flavors. Also I think they said that it MAY NOT be Brett but there doing DNA testing or something like that to find out for sure, iirc

Saison is a style I make more than any other. This is not a saison yeast. There is no pepper flavors to this yeast.

I just meant that because you can ferment up to 84 with wlp644 with out off flavors doesn’t mean it’s Brett. But it doesn’t really matter. after reading this thread and reviews on the yeast I’m gonna give it a try.

Are you going to the Southern California Homebrewers Festival gdtechvw? I may bring it

I did a little more reading on the Trois sacch/brett thing last night. Sounds like the jury is still out on this one. Omega Labs has announced that it is saccharomyces, but I’ll wait to see what White Labs has to say about it.

But at the end of the day it’s kind of irrelevant. Either way, it’s yeast. And it makes a killer IPA!

I am in the same boat. I don’t really care if it is Brett, it makes great beer and that is what I am looking for.

Yeah ill be there! What club are you with?

V.I.B.E (ventura independent beer enthusiasts)