A different spin on temperature control

Wow! That is a lot of great info I will have to read several times to really grasp the science behind it. I think i get the basic principle tho. As I don’t have extra DME (which I am def going to add to my next order), I think I may try the wort starter method I read in the other forum and shake the living shit out of it and pitch at high starter krausen.

Its actually not a science… more of sticking to the basics… Get a quart of starter… put it in a sanitized 1/2 gallon jug with a cap… add the yeast… cap it and shake shake shake… take the cap off to get more O2 in the jug… cap and… well, you get the point… when you walk past it, give it another shaking…
I highly recommend putting KC and the Sunshine bands… shake yer booty song!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

That sounds like a solid plan. How long should I let it activate? 24 hours then pitch? Plus some sweet jams, thanks!

Pitching at high krauesen varies a bit time wise but somewhat less than 24 hours…around 16 - 18 hours seems to be the sweet spot

1 Like

Ok cool! Thanks! Can’t wait to try this, so many variables.

We tend to not have to go overboard on things as we chase down great tasting brews… All the money in the world and the fanciest gizmo’s does not equal a great brew… It lies in the brewers skills…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Using wort from the batch is exactly what I would do if I ran out of DME for a starter. Wake up the next morning and pitch.

1 Like

Cool thanks man!! Now just hoping my smack pack activated in time. Got it on top of the fridge now. I think it slightly inflated but it’s hard for me to tell.

New query, folks. I am taking a 5 day vacay in a week. That will be the start of week 3 in the primary fermenter for my altbier. It’s currently in a swamp cooler that I can keep at a fairly consistent temp (62F-68F) with quart-1/2 gal frozen water bottles. I am a little worried about being gone for so long. I have no a/c, and am too clumsy to move it down to the basement without major sloshing. Should I toss in several gallon size frozen bottles right before I leave and say a little prayer?

You’ll be just fine… don’t move or agitate it too much
Can you put it in a fridge?.. cold crash… If not… walk away… The pH will keep it good… fer a while…
Have safe travels… Any chance to find some local brews? do post them…
Sneezles61

Man i wish I had a fridge to spare. I’m not going to move it I don’t think. I plan on ice bottling it pretty hard and then setting some frozen gallons next to it. It’s not that hot where I live but no a/c is making it tough to stay below 70F. Hit 72 today​:grimacing::grimacing:. Then covering the space it’s in to kind of insulate it, I hope. Headed to Philly, never been there. I’m sure I will hit up a brewery or two. Any suggestions? Will post for sure!

Your temp control don’t matter at this point, unless your trying to crash it. I would suggest that you get the beer out of primary when you return. 3 weeks is suspect but 4 weeks is pushing it IMO.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if some one came up with a mini fridge that you could put a 6.5 gallon fermenter in? A controller to keep it in check…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Oh ok. I’m only a week and 1/2 in, I figured I would try to keep it around 70 for two weeks. Bottling is my first priority upon return. Thanks!

That is a million dollar idea​:money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:I would buy that in a heartbeat

1 Like

Maybe a food grade plastic container designed to fit in a mini fridge?

2 Likes

Seems they can make about anything… we need some crafty home brewer in the manufacturing business to build one… OR present the idea to them…
Sneezles61

1 Like

One of my neighbors has family in Philly and swears by Tired Hands beer, always brings some back when he goes. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Cool thanks!! I will try to check that out for sure!

I have a mini fridge a 6.5 gallon Big Mouth Bubbler will fit in with a blow off on it. I have a corny in there lagering right now.

2 Likes