1st Time Batch Sparging. Questions on BeerSmith 2.2

Really no need to sparge that hot. Doesn’t make a difference

It can make a difference by doing the last bit if mash conversion.

1 Like

Didn’t you say you sparked with cold water?

I have experimented with sparging with cold water to see what happens, but it’s nothing I do regularly. Compared to 170F sparge water there was no efficiency loss by using 60F water. I saw a slight efficiency gain by using 1890F water.

Must have used a LOT of propane to get the water that hot!!! :wink:

That’s impossible.

I dunno, maybe he sparged in extremely high pressure conditions?

What is impossible and why?

DOH! Fumble fingers…190F

You mean the water temp? Yeah, 1890 is a bit high! :wink:

Laws of physics

Explain please?

It’s no good if you have to explain it.

Let me try though. If you try to heat water to 1,890 deg it will evaporate so it will be impossible to sparge with water that hot.

Ah, my misunderstanding…I thought you were referring to the cool sparge. Someday I’ll develop a sense of humor.

That’s OK. I once tried sparging with 10deg/F water. Very inefficient :thinking:

1 Like

You guys crack me up :slight_smile: Saturday I’m brewing a batch of the Buffalo Sweat Stout. I’m going to use the exact same methods I used last time but will raise my sparge water by 10 deg hoping to see a final sparge temp of 170°

I’m still experimenting even though I’ve brewed quite a few batches. I’m trying to get a good session beer (hopefully the JP 11’s) that I can brew in 11 gal batches. I just think it would be too much of a PITA to BIAB with a huge grain bill.

I’m also thinking of sticking that bazooka screen in the mash tun just to see how that works?

I use a bazooka tube in my mash tun. Works great! Since it doesn’t sit at the bottom of the mash tun, you have to tip it a little to get most of the wort out of the tun.

That’s what I like about my extremely low tech system. The braid sits flat on the cooler floor.

Denny, did you put a coil of wire in that braid to keep it from getting crushed? I looked at them in Home Depot the other day and they looked like that would be pretty weak once the rubber hose was removed.