Vinegar fermentation Introduction

It will. Give it time. Its a biological process and requires care & time. Contact me if you need further assistance.
cheers
roger

1 Like

Looks like about 1/2 mother 1/2 vinegar. Didn’t taste it yet going to wait for a full week. Then I’ll decant of the top and save the mother until next batch.

Now I reread this thread and something is wrong what I think is the mother is on the bottom with the liquid on top

The mother should be removed from every “finished” batch and discarded. It hinders the O2 absorption at the surface and if it sinks, that is an indication that there is too much mother. When you remove the calculated “finished” vinegar, there will always be live culture “in the liquid”. There is such a thing as TOO MUCH culture. A discussion for another day perhaps.
roger

Pretty hot but kinda tasty. Filled my little bottle and poured some pear Mead on top.

Should I let it age or start using it? Also how or when or should I add spices etc.?

It looks like the batch is finished since the mother is laying ion the bottom. For this batch, I would remove the mother and discard. The volume seems a bit low. Then, add another volume of the substrate (food), seal it and let it go for another 5 - 6 days. Monitor the progress of the culture by observing the growth of mother on the surface. You should start to see a film develop within approximately 2-3 days. If you’re going to add spices etc. add it to the finished vinegar and let it settle and age.

The mother didn’t coagulate so I decanted what I could the rinsed out the bottom and poured the solution back in the fermenter. It got a bit cloudy then I poured the substrate(Mead) on top.

That should work. From your photo, your batch volume looked a bit low. You need to build it up a bit. I’d say 2 more feedings should probably do it. If the batch volume is low, the fermentation will be to fast and you will lose a lot of liquid. “Cloudy” is not a problem. I’m new to this forum and from what I understand, I have a probationary period before I can attach anything. I’ll check out my status and if its good to go, I will attach some of my paper on the subject.
roger

Well the Mead made a nice vinegar. I sweetened it by adding a tbs honey. Next up I used some elder flower liquor I made not sure of the abv though

Theres an Organic restaurant up north that has a home made ketchup. You can really taste the apple cider vinegar… I’ve been dumping some into the store boughten stuff… it seems like just under a quarter of the bottle gone… top up with the vinegar… very tasty treat… Ice cold brews, big fat cheese burger and dunked heavily in it! Sneezles61

I’m glad to hear the mead turned out OK.

I have alot of Mead and home made wine that I want to experiment with. Does it matter if the wine has been opened and recorked . I really like the Mead vinegar and think it will make a nice base for spicing. Got to order some little bottles