Roasting Your Own Malts

How long for 60L

Fooling around with with an air popper. 5 min air popper of pale malt. Trying to make Amber malt
That’s the pale bottom left

1 Like

A solid 30 mins. My grain bed was about 1 inch deep and 1 pound of grain. If your baking sheet is larger making the grain bed thinner/shallower it would take less time. So just be vigilant.

Did the mash setting the oven at 170° and left it for 2 hrs. Took most of the hr to get 140° then took the next hr to get to 170° so I’m sure we got conversion. Cranked it to 250° and going to stir up every 1/2 hr until dry. Gotta say it smells nice

1 Like

It raining and crappy today but definitely a nice distraction on a bad weather day.

We started eating the grains like cereal they become so sweet tasting. The whole apartment did smell incredible like a massive baking session.

They are sweet. Much sweeter than store bought. Not sure if I should use less. What did you do

I used a full pound in mine brew. They may taste sweeter because they are so fresh and haven’t gotten stale. The instructions I followed said to put the roasted malts in a paper bag for a few days to let them mellow

Don’t have any 60L but mine is in the center between carapills and special B curious to try

2 Likes

Here is the result. I single malt Amber beer where the unroasted pale malt is 3.0 SRM. The rest of the color comes from my roasting.
This is picture is from the dregs of the bottling bucket so it will be nice to see it clear up with some conditioning.

1 Like

So you used all Amber as the base malt?

I used all Pale Malt including a pound of the same pale male that I roasted to what was supposed to be Crystal 60L.
I would say that this is a SRM 11ish

Gotcha. Similar to what I have planned. Going with MO for the base with my crystal I made and some of my roasted malt with ESB yeast

2 Likes

And then this appeared on our host’s website…

Not for me but pretty cool

Me neither, but hey… roast 'em if you’ve got 'em and an extra 10k

I think I’ll be making my own crystal malt and while the oven is hot roast some malt. Pretty easy really I’ll take a day and do a bunch

1 Like

Isn’t making crystal meth illegal? :nerd_face:. :mask:
Sneezles61

I fixed it

1 Like

Just F’in’ with you… :beers:
Sneezles61